Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Engine Comparison - 2.0 16v Turbo (LET) and V6

3K views 92 replies 23 participants last post by  Andy K 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me pro's cons of each engine please.

Top Speed?
0-60? (in same car ie. mk3 astra)
MPG?
Power to weight?
Tuning Ease on each?
bhp as standard?
any known problems?

etc

#3 ·
Dave these questions are stupid!:D But will attempt to answer them for you anywaylmao

Top Speed? Depends on the car you put the engines in! (in yours you could say around 150mph top whack)

0-60 around 7 secs for the V6 and around 6.7 for the turbo
MPG? 20-45mpg range for both engines (less for you as ya have a heavy right foot)

Power to weight? in a mk3 astra around 150 bhp/ton for v6 around 175bhp/ton for the turbo
Tuning Ease on each? V6 more difficult, turbo ermmm 200>260 with ease! :D
bhp as standard? V6 2.5 is 170bhp 2.6 v6 is 196. 2L turbo 204 standard
any known problems? Only DaveB behind the wheel of either engines!
;) lmao

#5 ·
2.5V6 in GSI or ST200 Guise is 194 BHP
2.6V6 is 196BHP only in the GSI, it's 174BHP in the other cars (SRI, CDX etc.)

3.0 is 210BHP (With Omega induction, less with Vectra or Cav)
3.2 About the same.

#14 ·
that maybe true trebor but my turbo in standard form could knock the spots of a new shape 330 CI BMW and they have a "special" V6 that and I quote

BMW's variable camshaft control, Double VANOS, with the ground-breaking efficiency of VALVETRONIC, the variable valve lift system. The result is astounding responsiveness across the entire range of engine speeds, and fuel savings of at least ten percent. The 3 Series coupé sets the benchmark for sophisticated, dynamic and powerful sports coupé performance.

What can I say I guess it aint that special

#15 ·
Well I can recommend a Turbo but as the latest person to join the Dark Side I would say that.

Get a Turbo Dave, a V6 does have a smoother power delivery but you want to Turbo really I know you do ;)

Top Speed? - Higher in the Turbo but both will be hitting well over 140mph
0-60? (in same car ie. mk3 astra) - Turbo is faster
MPG? - Turbo is better when running off boost, V6 when on boost but you won't run on boost that often as the Top Speed comes up pretty quick.
Power to weight? Turbo is better as it has more power
Tuning Ease on each? - Turbo is easier to tune and cheaper (not really tuning a turbo, more like chipping it... is anyone else seeing a pattern here?)
bhp as standard? - Turbo...again.
any known problems? - Have a guess? The Turbo is more likely to fail since the V6 is big a chunky and bombproof but then the slower it is the safer it is and Turbos only tend to go when you start whacking up the power. Leave it standard and it will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.