I bought a Mk1 GTE about a month ago, but am having some trouble with the engine. The car is an import from Switzerland to Denmark. It pulls nicely from 1-5k, but when you go above, it kinda looses power.
In 1st you may reach the rev limiter @ around 6000, in 2nd it kinda hovers around 58-5900rpm, and in 3rd, just about 5700. It doesn't die completely, but its almost as if its only running on 3 cylinders.
The thing thats really bugging us, is that when you hit this "zone of crappy accel" and shift, it still lacks power for about 1-1,5secs in the next gear. If you just give it some revs in neutral, its the same problem, it hits 5200, and starts to sputter (?) untill you let of the gas a sec or two.
So far the following has been changed:
Spark plugs (tried both standard, and 4 point) all bosch
Spark plugs cables, original.
3 dizzy's, and 2 caps.
Fuel injector nozzles
Fuel Pump and Filter
I've also bought a german GTE engine (its working fine, but we wan't to get the other one running and prepare the german one for a turbo...)
The engine from Switzerland, has all kinda funky vacum crap, that the german one does not. We've tried to by pass these, but this does not help.
I've had the car to a Opel shop, but they just adjusted the CO (we had tried the entire range), and said "We don't have any books on this car so, wa can't do sch1te"
It doesn't matter of you hit the zone with full or half throttle, same deal. Other than this, the engine pulls great.
Timing belt has been changed, and adjusted correctly.
The erhmm thing just before the intake manifold (don't know the english word edit: Throttle body ), with the throttle wire, and pot, has been cleaned out - it was so dirty that the vacum holes where complety covered.
No matter what we've done, it hasn't solved our problems at high revs.
Astra Mk1 GTE