Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Turbo kit for a 1.8SEH 8v

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chip 
#1 ·
Just wondering whats available (if anything) for a 1.8SEH 8v.

Currently the power should be around (IIRC) 112BHP and 110lbs Torque so with a turbo attached (with all the necessary additions etc) what power could I expect. Obvisouly this is a bit of a 'string long how' question but with the masses of brainpower on here I hope someone can give me a rough idea.

Gen me up people.

#3 ·
richie00boy said:
www.mvaux.com probably need to contact Matheus direct as the 2.0 kit probably won't fit but maybe he can do something special.

BTW your engine code should be 18E or 18SE. SEH is a 2.0 designation :)
You know I've never got the hang of the engine code lol. I do know its suppposed to come with the slightly more powerful of the two 1.8 engines. Would that be the SE?

#5 ·
richie00boy said:
Yes, denotes higher compression if the same sort of designations as the 2.0 is used.
:beer:

Reason for asking the initial question is that I want turbo power but don't see the LET materialising anytime soon. So wondered what the reality of a 1.8 Turbo would be seeings as I've got a 25K mile engine as a starting point.

I'll email Matheus and see what he says :)

#6 ·
Orange Peel said:
Just wondering whats available (if anything) for a 1.8SEH 8v.

Currently the power should be around (IIRC) 112BHP and 110lbs Torque so with a turbo attached (with all the necessary additions etc) what power could I expect. Obvisouly this is a bit of a 'string long how' question but with the masses of brainpower on here I hope someone can give me a rough idea.

Gen me up people.
As has been mentioned already, Matheus at Mvaux would be able to supply a kit. The 2L manifold will fit the 1.8L (the exhaust ports are the same).
Because of the high compression I would recommend the following:

1. Remove pistons and machine the crown to a bowl diameter of 69mm by 5.5mm deep. Make sure there is a radius at the bottom of the bowl. This should give a compression ratio of 8:1 with the standard head gasket. Alternatively, if the engine is tired you can buy replacement turbo pistons (8:1) from Sealed Power. Part numbers are 503NP for stock size and 503NP.50MM for (you guessed it) 0.5mm over pistons. You should be able to order these from any of the american parts suppliers here in the UK. There application is for the US turbo 1984 PONTIAC J2000/SUNBIRD 4-112 1.8L.

2. Get a good intercooler.

3. Get a boost referenced ignition retard device, either MSD or a UK company called Microdynamics.

4. Do some calculations to make sure your injectors can supply enough fuel. May also be a good idea to fit a fuel pump from a XE or LET Cav/Calibra. Get a fuel pressure gauge too, you'll need this to set up the fuel injection base pressure.

5. The most important thing is to get it set up properly on a rolling road so you don't get any knock/detonation - this will quickly destroy your pistons, big ends, etc.

The modified stock/Sealed Power pistons will support up to 250hp if you don't get any knock. 10-15psi with good intercooling will see you over 200hp and possibly up to 230-240hp.

Other advice: 2.5" exhaust minimum. Keep the intercooling pipe work as short as you can (helps "lag"). Don't buy a ****ty stainless steel or the latest multicoloured foam air filter off ebay, get a good quality one e.g. K&N. Don't mount the air filter in the engine bay if at all possible, hot air into a turbo equals even hotter air out of a turbo and more chance of knock/detonation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.