Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

highest BHP an XE can handle?

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Benn 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Well, since it's the same rods and crank as a LET and you'd be changing the pistons if you were turboing it...

#8 ·
And that's including 9:45 to warm it up.

#12 ·
on the eco, the rods and pistons fail at 250, so i wouldnt take an xe above 200 at 7000 revs.

as a guess i think the rods can take 8000 rpm (as long as the bolts are changed) - I asked buddah - that's what he said.

#13 ·
to get an XE to 230hp without changing the internals, and without using a turbo or gas its near on impossible, the cams dont flow enough on std timing, and making the timing more aggessive on std cams would require the pistons to have bigger pockets, and would also require solids and steel valve train, so with that, you cant do it imho.

#14 ·
Jamie_F said:
to get an XE to 230hp without changing the internals, and without using a turbo or gas its near on impossible, the cams dont flow enough on std timing, and making the timing more aggessive on std cams would require the pistons to have bigger pockets, and would also require solids and steel valve train, so with that, you cant do it imho.
I was told the bottom end can handle up to 230bhp for safty reasons:confused:

#16 ·
MarkyG said:
on the eco, the rods and pistons fail at 250, so i wouldnt take an xe above 200 at 7000 revs.

as a guess i think the rods can take 8000 rpm (as long as the bolts are changed) - I asked buddah - that's what he said.
rod strength has nothing to do with bhp, its revs that will make them fail. ecotec rods most certainly are not stronger than the XE, which your above quote implies. the ecotec uses the same rods as the old 2.0 8v rods, much thinner and the small end is MUCH weaker.

#18 ·
NO one can say what the highest bhp an engine could handle there are FAR to many variables that can go into an engine failure

STANDARD engines have been known to fail at standard bhp but some of us have had around 400bhp out of them without a failure

one thing that is certain is that rpm breaks xe's rods before power does this is the reason why you HAVE to change rod bolts in a tb'd engine when reving higher than 7750 for safty but keep it at 6k rpm and i have had around 400bhp on standard rod bolts

BUT as has already been said you cannot just bolt a turbo onto a standard xe and make big bhp without some very very hot fuel (high octane) you are going to get det a long time before you make anywhere near 300 bhp let alone 360 lol

of course all this is imo lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.