Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1.6 mk3 astra "grinds" on full lock?

854 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nova2l16v 
#1 ·
well as the title says really, i go around corners at full lock and can hear what appears to be a grinding noise? a few people i've talked to have suggested it could be the gators? i have no idea what they are or what role they have in the steering so thought i best come on here and ask :beer:

think it would be connected to the high speed rumbliong problems im having?

#3 ·
thats a very similar problem that ive got but it dont happen on full lock its if the steering wheel is turned even the smallest of amounts to the left. it kinda sounds like a vibrating rubbing grunding all in one go and is hard to describe.

im going to be changing my steering rack soon anyway because it has a bit of play in it not enough to fail the mot but its enough for me to be unhappy if it solves my problem then i will send you a pm.lol

or if you wanted you could unbolt the track rod ends from the hubs and turn each part one at a time and see whats grinding ie drivers leg or passenger leg or is it the rack making noises

dont forget to spin the wheels at the same time as turning the legs from left to right it may even be a wheel bearing or just a worn bush in a wishbone.

#4 ·
I was thinking of the tyres rubbing the wheel arches as well..

Only other thing I experienced was after I had the suspension struts replaced.. There was a thin metal plate behind the brake disc that I can only assume prevented foriegn objects getting stuck between the disc and pad. It had been bent and was rubbing slightly on the disc. Found it by jacking the car up and spinning the wheels gy hand.

#6 ·
nope not lowered at all, comletely standard at the moment, it happens on both the front wheels, some times happens while just turning at around 40 - 50 mph. it passed its mot first time today (well failed on a head light bulb out, tyre, washer were out of water :doh: ) so im assuming its nothing TOO serious?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.