Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1.4 SPI rattle then no compression.

472 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Stupink 
#1 ·
Sorry for the lack of info, i havnt seen the car personally yet, and have only had the info second hand as well at the moment.

MK3 astra, 1.4, it has spi but had a cambelt go, so had a complete MPI engine installed and the inlet etc from the old spi was kept and ran as an spi engine.

now the problem in "as much detail as i have it".
it started to make a clattery noise miles from anywhere to got drove maybe ?10-30miles?, then the ecu light came on, unsure if the engine had cut out or not sorry( (i can only assume it must have for the light to come on), tried to restart and it wouldnt. towed back, then wont start, checked timing, found a couple of teeth out so reset, wouldnt start still, did compression test, 200 50 0 50 *ISH or there abouts*.

Any ideas? doesnt add up to me, surely few teeth wouldnt mash valves? but surely this is valve issue... me thinks pork pies are being told and 3rd was found instead of 5th?? over revved mashed valves and jammed the cam briefly enough to jump a couple of teeth?

Likely damage, quickest/cheapest repair technique? doesnt have to be a mint solution, anyone got any needed parts they can surrender for a minimal fee? she will never want me but smitten is smitten :D lmao :cat:

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah thats what i was thinking, slightly confused by the one good cylinder and one with nothing? i would immagine valve damage on average would make a couple or all cylinders poor, but not completely kill one and leave another alone.
so it will have taken the valve guides out etc as with the LET etc? making the head commercially scrap for the price of finding a new good whole head, rods etc will be ok you think then? cool. have no exerience of this engine at all other than having done the odd bit of work gaskit /belt wise here and there if it aint a LET/XE then i juuuuust dannnoo :D
anyone got a head? I see nothing in classfrieds, someone must have one kicking around for a few quid?

#4 ·
mate of mine before was going to go into third gear at 60mph and got first all it done was snapped the rocker arms. that was a 1.4 8 valve. take the rocker cover off when you get a chance and see what damage there is.

#7 ·
cheers for the offer, transporting engines is a pain in the bum though. was hoping for something local one way or the other, will see how things develop
as far as i can remember the inlet didnt fit but it does now :p again, i didnt see or do the job, just going by what i was told at the time, definately remember seeing old mpi parts and old engine laying around after the job though. I don't know any codes for the old or new. should get pulled apart today so will know a bit more then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.