Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Smoking 20XE

338 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BigDave1979 
#1 ·
I've recently aquired a low mileage (61k) Astra GTE 16v and notice it smokes a bit when cold but when approaching 6k rpm it produces gallons of filthy blue smoke from the exhaust. I know that the engine needs some TLC but where to start? Any advice? It doesn't sound rattly just smokey.

#2 ·
It could poss be worn value guides, theses can cost up to £10 each, haven 16 to replace can cost upto £160. Only way to check that i know of is to remove the head and strip it, there might be another way to check this but i dont know.

I had this problem with all my exhaust guides and 1 set of inlets on a coscast head. I only noticed oil burning when car sat for a few hours allowing oil to flow past the value stem seals, guides and sit ontop of the values. When car warmed up a bit smoke stoped. Another thing i noticed with my problem was i was using oil very slowly, about a 1lt every 1month depending how offen i drove it.

Maybe you could start with a compression test to see if your down on any cyl's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.