Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Removing Head - On a time Limit!!!

2K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  Laney 
#1 ·
I've never removed the head before. I've got up to the point of removing the Inlet Manifold. Not actually removed it but started. Do you think its possible to remove the head. change the gasket. change the water pump. and put it all back together (with necessary new bits) between 5:30pm until about 8:30 pm today and then 9:00am until 3:00pm tomorrow???

Any Tips?

Cheers

Andrew

#2 ·
I have never done a turbo before, but assuming it is just a gasket & water pump change you should have no problems, and that should be more than enough time.

I can do a N/A injection engine gasket change in a couple of hours if I don't rush and stop for a tea break half way through.

#6 ·
So provided I don't take the approach of Undo one bolt. Have a Beer. Undo next bolt. Have a beer. Yundoo nixt Bolt yav a ber. ndo nx blt. mmm beeerrrrrr. Hickup. Burrrpppp. What the fecjk was i doin. Oh ****** to it lets av a beer.

OK thanks for the advice guys.

I'm at donnington tomorrow while Monday and I was hoping to take my car. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted. If not i'm going in my mates F**d XR3i.....AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Would you remove the head with the Inlet attached?? Or leave it in?

#8 ·
to take the head off yuo can take off the nut that hold the inlet, and push it backtoward the bulkhead, and loosen the turbo manifold and push toward the front....but you`ll need to remove the rad/IC for more clearance....

PS u have a turbo so dont skim the head unless it warped...you increase the compression...not good!

#10 ·
Yep, I was thinking the same about the skimming. If it does need skimming (warped head) would low comp pistons be a good idea or would the thicker steel head gasket do the job. I've got 2 standard ones and although i don't know of any one having problem using 2 i'ld rather not. It seems like a 'corner cutting' job which i'ld rather avoid.

Whats the Cam Belt Panel??

I've got the tools for undoing the head bolts. Are there any other 'special/unique' tools that i'll need?

#12 ·
well the cambelt panel, thats what i call it anyway is a black plate on the side of the engine, and is connected to the head with 2 screws.

No dont use 2 head gaskets, its a bodge job, no matter what some ppl say, take a minute and think about it, why do many companies produce 1 peice steel gaskets? and secondly you will mess up the squish band, best would be to go for low comp pistons...im looking for some myself but i`m still doing some price/spec research...the accralite ones courtenay sell are nice but the guys who manufacture them have broken the molds, so it will take months!!

a turbo im sure it will have a female torx bolt..thats the only special tools you need, oh and a t bar, those head bolts are quite tight with just a ratchet!! i should know!:D

#17 ·
LOL @ 16vastra lmao lmao

i don't have one but Either my mate does or I'm off to get one in the Morning.

I don't need it until I put it back together do I, so Its not like I can't start with out it.

OK, Thanks for all the help so far. Now if someone would just come down to my house and show me how its done that would be great.:D :D

so you think that i should be able to do the job this evening. I can then start Cleaning the radiator and replacing the coolant pipes tomorrow. Well, I'll start cleaning the radiator tonight. If i just leave it over night with a load of Fairy liquid in, will taht start to clean the gunk out?

#19 ·
Right, allow me to translate frustrating. AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! F*ck, Sh*t, P*ss, Cu*t, Wa*k. Agghhhhh!!! Whack!!!! Thud!!!!! Oh stuff i'll finish it tomorrow.

I've got the turbo disconnected. The Rad and I/C out. All the necessary bits on the Inlet side disconnected (and a few bits that didn't need doing). I've still got to disconnected the actual Inlet manifold bolts. I've taken the Alternator belt off but haven't done the Pulley at the bottom so I can remove the timing belt. Is that the last thing I need to do before undoing the Head Bolts (in order)?

#20 ·
you may need to remove the timing wheels on the cams and behind them are two torx bolts holding the black plate behind the cambelt to the side of the head

there is also a support bar from the block to the bottom of the inlet manifold in the XE but not sure if its there on the turbo engine.

#21 ·
be carefull when you remove the 6 splined bolts that hold the crank pulley, as they have a tendency to sheer the splines as they have become old and rusty!! i had to take the bastard crank bolt off...this is where you deffo need anothe rpair of hand and some brute strength!!

u dont need to take it off unless u are replacing the belt...u may as well if it v old!!

#23 ·
The alternator belt is fine and doesn't need replacing. Can i remove thetiming belt (replace it) without removing the alternator belt. hmmm thinking about it I think I can but you'll probably correct me. What size is the nut on the Timing belt tensioner? I know its smaller than 13mm. I am assuming its an imperial size.

I really need to finish this is the morning cos my mate drives crap. And i don't fancy 3 of us crammed in an XR31 along with a **** load of luggage (including an oil drum!!!)

Cheers

Andrew

#24 ·
may as well replace all belts, but you`ll need to remove the alt belt to change the timing belt.....i think its a 13 or a 12 what are u gonna do once the head is off? if i were u id get it flowed and cammed...should give u a few nice horses and some torque

#25 ·
Unfortunately tim and money for very very limited so it will be head off, change whats necessary, and put it all back together. If I notice anything wrong with the Head or the pistons etc when i'm doing the gasket then i'll have to do some more work and then i may look at what else i can do at the same time.

#26 ·
the alt and pas belts only need come right off on the early engines with the manual tensioner - the later pulley layout with the autotensioner has a single belt which drives both, which needs the offside engine mount removing before you can get it off completely - once you have it off the pas bump and alt pulleys, just move it aside out the way.

so the answer is both yes and no - it depends on your definition of 'remove'...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.