Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Removing Head - On a time Limit!!!

2K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  Laney 
#1 ·
I've never removed the head before. I've got up to the point of removing the Inlet Manifold. Not actually removed it but started. Do you think its possible to remove the head. change the gasket. change the water pump. and put it all back together (with necessary new bits) between 5:30pm until about 8:30 pm today and then 9:00am until 3:00pm tomorrow???

Any Tips?

Cheers

Andrew

#54 ·
Am I right in thinking that if there is a gap down the side of one of the pistons I would have been losing compression and that would explain the lack of boost that i had?

The Bores seem perfectly fine on the centre pistons. Is it safe to rotate the engine on the bottom pulley so that i can see the other two bores?

I might be able to fix things sooner than i thought as i may be doing 24hrs of overtime this weekend. Thats more than £500 after tax in my pocket (although I don't get it till the end of next month).

Cheers

Andrew

#56 ·
Sorry, Yeah I know that but what i'm saying is if one of the pistons is suffiecntly worn. And enough material has broken off down the side of the piston. Would this lose compresion.

Would Piston Slap cause a loss of compression? That, I think, Is what i've got.

#57 ·
Laney said:
Am I right in thinking that if there is a gap down the side of one of the pistons I would have been losing compression and that would explain the lack of boost that i had?

The Bores seem perfectly fine on the centre pistons. Is it safe to rotate the engine on the bottom pulley so that i can see the other two bores?

I might be able to fix things sooner than i thought as i may be doing 24hrs of overtime this weekend. Thats more than £500 after tax in my pocket (although I don't get it till the end of next month).

Cheers

Andrew
Yes you can rotate the crankshaft pully to get the pistons up. When you re-assemble the engine you just make sure it is on TDC on the No1 piston.

A common way to check for bore and ring wear is to put two of the pistons TDC and put a little oil into the gap between the piston and the bore. go have a cup of tea and come back and see if the oil has escaped. Repeat with the other pistons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.