VXR Turbo (Z20LEH) unit on Astra Z20LET..more power???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VXR Turbo (Z20LEH) unit on Astra Z20LET..more power???

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo

VXR Turbo (Z20LEH) unit on Astra Z20LET..more power???

Hi

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's got nothing better to do on boxing day

Anyway, I'm currently having a new engine fitted to my Astra Coupe Turbo after it died a few weeks ago due to one of the pistons falling apart. It also ruined the turbo in the process so I'm having a VXR turbo fitted as it's a bargain compared to the standard Z20LET turbo, at only 450 and is supposed to be comparable to a stage 3 unit....almost.

What I'd like to know is, how much of a power increase can I expect from this new turbo? I have a standard exhaust which I know will restrict the power. The only mods I have done is de-restricting the airbox, bigger air intake and Iridium spark plugs. The car did have Superchip software (pushed out about 220bhp I think) but it's being changed to a stage 2 software upgrade.

I get the car back on Wednesday and I'm looking forward to a bit more power, but just not sure how much. Any ideas?

Cheers, Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    1.6LPG, 1.8, 1.9CDTI
    If the ECU is going to maintain the same level of boost with the new Turbo, then you'll see little or no gain at all.

It may flow more air for the same boost pressure, and give a bit of gain but that's all.

If your ECU was running above standard boost and the old turbo was losing boost pressure at higher revs, then you will see some good gains.
    http://www.tssd.co.uk How Tos . http://www.gte24v.co.uk/shop/ Parts For Sale The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Thanks Mark. The ECU will be reprogrammed with stage 2 software, which normally gives an increase to around 250 BHP with the standard Z20LET turbo, probably a bit more with the slightly better spec VXR turbo unit, which is apparently good for 280BHP.

Stage 2 normally includes a bigger intercooler though and would undoubtedly benefit from a less restrictive performance exhaust, which I won't have, so was just curious how much of a negative effect that'll have on the figures.

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see!! Thanks.

Gagged
    Drives
    Evo5 champion
    seen a stage 3 with 287 bhp

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Focus LX
    You best bet is to speak to whoever is fitting the turbo, but it will suffer without a good exhaust and intercooler. The main retriction is the CAT, made a huge difference when i had mine fitted with a sports CAT.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Coupe Turbo
    Stage 2 or 3, what does this mean without knowing who the tuner is?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS
    Stage 2 or 3, what does this mean without knowing who the tuner is?
    I was going on what Courtney and Regal Auto (two of the biggest Vauxhall tuners if I'm not mistaken) use for stage 2.

Anyway, I get the car back tomorrow so I'll let you know if the new turbo and software make a difference as I'm sure there are others out there who will be having a similar mod, especially if thier turbo dies.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MK4 astra gsi turbo
    yeah il be fitting a vxr blower in the next week of two. thats gunna be going on my fairly standard gsi. im gunna leave a reamap until i get the fmic installed. with standard map the new turbo will boost the same if not harder- if your old turbo was a bit smokey. cant wait to fit mine!

jimbo

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Update - Picked up the car on Wednesday with replacement engine, new VXR turbo and Regal stage 1 software.

Had to go easy on the throttle on the way home as the engine's just been rebuilt, but I quickly noticed that the car was quite a bit slower than it was when it was running the standard Z20LET turbo and the Superchips software. After spending alomost 2k on in I was hoping for a little improvement at least, but it didn't feel right.

The engine light came on after about 70 miles so I took it back down to Regal. After a few hours of poking around they found it to have a faulty Air Flow/Mass meter. I didn't have to pay for the labour which was nice and noticed the difference straight away, although I don't know if the extra power is down to the Regal software or the VXR turbo unit.

Anyway, I'm pleased with it now. It feels like a completely different car. The turbo seems to have a little more lag and it boosts a little later at just under 3k RPM as opposed to just over 2k RPM, but it's more progressive and keeps pulling hard where it used to run out of steam between 5 & 6k RPM.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Focus LX
    Another case of the air mass meter on a Z20 LET strikes again, theyare fecking pants.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Tell me about it. I'm paranoid now that it's going to break again after finding out how fragile they are. 100 for a piece of frickin plastic, but what can you do eh??

+ Reply to Thread