Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Astra Red Top in Cav Sri Wont Start!

2K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  MWF 
#1 ·
Me and a mate have just finished installing a Redtop 16v from a Astra GTE (digital dash) into a H-reg Cav SRi.

Its in there and turning over but not firing.

The fuel pump wasn't comming on but we have wired that to an ignition live for now.

In the conversion we have used the loom, ECU and coil from the Astra.

The engine was running before we converted it and we have not taken it appart.

The oil light is going out and we are possitive we have connected the fuel lines correctly.

We do however have a couple of wiring probs, there is a redundant wire on the sump and also a green connector block near the ECU which has nowhere to plug in.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
the oil light will go out because it operates mechanically, and as you crank the engine, your creating oil pressure.

Check the switched live to the coil (Black) make sure that is 12V when the ignition is switched. Make sure the green wire from the loom is connected to the right place on the coil too (Had mine in the wrong place!) I beleive it goes to the terminal with the blue wire on, stick it on the one with the red terminal, and the engine will do as you describe.

Check the ECU has power to it, by checking the perm 12V feed to the ECU. Either check the wiring diagram, or measure the red wires going to the ECU.

Check for a spark too. If it's sparking, check fuel delivery...

#5 ·
Above the gearbox is a square ish connector on the GTE loom.

You need to make sure that the thick red wire is connected to battery +

and the black wire is connected to ignition. (there is a single connection on the cav engine loom is a similar point)

The fuel pump connection is also there (red/blue (thicker wire NOT blue/red).

The brown/blue wire is for the engine light. Usful for fault finding.

There is some more info on the cavweb forum somewhere.

#6 ·
I take it the little green plug next to the ecu has 4 wires comming out it? Something like brown/yellow, brown/blue, brown/white can't remember the other one. These are the engine diagnostic wires that need to be connected up to your car loom.

#7 ·
Came back to it today, there is no spark.

Checked all the connections and everything looks fine, the only area that looks like the prob is the connections around the ECU. The Cav has three connecting blocks in addition to the main ECU one, two are green and one is black. The Astra GTE loom only has one green connector?!?!

#11 ·
The ECU and the loom that attaches to it up to the large twist connector by the battery is all from the Astra. Everything on the other side of the twist connector is Cavalier.

We have checked the wiring on this and the three main wires on the top an bottom of the twist connector are the same on both the Cav and Astra so we are assuming that is correct. I am going through here and Cav Web at the mo and found this.

Lol. It was dead easy but it doesn't run. HAHAHAHAAH

The astra GTE ECU loom has a square connector above the glovebox.

Connector the following wires to this.

Pin G Thick red to battery +
Pin F black (ignition) to the cavalier's single connector with black wire by the dissy.
Pin E red/blue (fuel pump) run to the drivers footwell and connect to the same colour wire with single connector.

This is all you should need to get the engine running.

Right the rest of the wires can be done in different ways.

On some cavaliers, some of the wires are available at the round plug for the engine loom by the battery so you can connect to these. If they aren't then you can run them into the car to the drivers footwell.

Pin A brown/blue (engine light) - by battery pin 11
Pin B brown/yellow (fuel computer where fitted) - dr footwell black/brown.
Pin C green (revcounter) green wire under dizzy with single connector or by battery pin 9
Pin D blue/red (MPH - probably not required) - drivers footwell.

Another problem is the dash engine temp gauge. Not to sure how this works on GTE. But if you find a blue wire connect it to the round connector by the battery pin 10 or dr footwell.
The only problem is we havn't used the large square connector above the glove box, however the Cav one should be there.

#14 ·
I've found the connector Andy! I can't confirm if it has the thick red wire connected to the battery till tomorrow.

There are quite a few connections to it.

I have checked with a voltmeter and there is no ignition live to the coil.

The coil also has four wires going in then a exposed red and blue wires on the coil itself.

#15 ·
Andy I'd just like to say thanks for your help, we were complaining you dont live near us for some highly paid Cav consultancy!

I think we were so close, we couldn't find an ignition live on the square block connector so he simply ran a wire from the black dizzy connection to the battery and with the fuel pump running i turned the engine over but would you beleive it the battery was flat!!! lmao

I think she'll run tomorrow and then the TB208 kit will be ordered monday.

#19 · (Edited)
The 3 wires on the dissy should not be messed with. They goto the ECU dirrect. They do not need to be connected to start the car. Connecting stuff to these could blow things up so don't do it again.

It's a cam shaft position hall effect sensor to do the Sequential Fuel Injection. If it's not connected the car will run but the engine light will be on.

The rev counter signal would come from the ignition module 4 pin connector, the green wire.

I think you need to go back to basics.

1) Check the ground wires from the plastic rail above the injectors are connected to ground on the inlet manifold. There is more that one.

2) Locate the ingition module next to the coil. 4 pin connector.
Check the black wire has +12v on when the ignition is on.

3) Find the fuel pump relay.
Check the thick red wire has +12v on.

Turn the ignition on and check the thick red/blue wire has +12v on.

4) Make sure the engine light is connected up. brown/blue wire in the drivers footwell from the engine loom to the car loom.
Ensure the light come on when the igntion is turned on.

5) Ensure the crank sensor is fully connected and plugged in. Reseat connector.

6) Check and re plug in all other connectors. For example.
Air mass meter connector
Coolant temp sensor.
Air idle valve. (DON'T THINK THIS IS CONNECTED FROM WHAT YOU WERE SAYING THE OTHER DAY)

#23 ·
ok.

I would firstly check the round engine connector by the battery.

According to my wiring diagrams it should not be a simple case of plugging them in. Check that the wire colours on one side match wire colours on the other. If there are any difference let me know.

Check the black wire on the cav side goes to black on the other side. (ignition wire).

If it does check it has ignition (12v when ign on) on both sides.

Then check the black wires on the oblong connector.

#26 · (Edited)
ok.

I think you need to sort this connector out before you continue.

Sadly I don't have full wiring diagrams for later GTEs only the ECU bit.

I can tell you that pin 7 on the astra connector is the ign supply to the ecu & coil module.

This should be connected to the black wire on the cavalier connector pin 8.

The other black wire on the astra maybe for the reversing lights ? ? Pin 10 ? And this should be connected to the black/yellow wire on the cavalier connector pin 12

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.