Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

FAO anyone using or used steveboyslim headstuds

809 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  twag 
#1 ·
i have pm'ed steve about this but i need the info by tomorrow so incase he doesnt get back to me in time i thought id post it here.

heres a pic of one of the studs

now one end is machined as you can see. is this the end that goes into the block to locate into the bottom of the hole?

does the stud get torqued into the block? if so what torque? and is that with oil on the threads?

what about clamping the head? i take it i oil the threads but what about torque settings?

cheers

rodgerq

See less See more
#4 ·
just got a reply from steve - here it is for anyone searching for this info in the future

Firstly make sure the head bolt holes are as clean as you can get them idealy run a tap down them if you can find a reasonably priced 11x1.25mm tap (I payed nearly £70!!!!!!!!!).
You are correct the machined end goes in the block, lock two nuts back to back on the other end and torque each stud in the block to 30ft/lb's lightly lubricated with oil.
The head is torqued down to 70ft/lbs same sequence as with head bolts lightly oiled again.
Before the final torque, lesser amounts can be used but the 70 needs to be on the move.
Early head bolt washers need to be used.

rodgerq

#5 ·
OK but i have a question,if the stud are in the block by 30lbft and the nuts 70lbft if you ever need to take the head off wont it pull them out the block before slackening the nut??Maybe thats the inttention??Or am i barking up the wrong tree??

#7 ·
sometimes that happens with studs mate, the nut stick and the stud comes out the block but as long as you remove the nut and replace the stud back in the block instead of just screwing the stud in with the nut(efrectively making it a bolt) then you will be fine

rodgerq

#9 ·
rodgerq said:
Early head bolt washers need to be used.

rodgerq
The only washers i have are the ones on the old headbolts, and these dont come off.

So what am i supposed to use?

#10 ·
thats the late style headbolts mate. you need the early heabolt washers that came seperate from the bolts. avaialbe at vaux. tomorrow ill let you know the part number and price when i pick mine up.

rodgerq

#12 ·
rodgerq said:
thats the late style headbolts mate. you need the early heabolt washers that came seperate from the bolts. avaialbe at vaux. tomorrow ill let you know the part number and price when i pick mine up.

rodgerq
Cheers mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.