Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Engine trouble :(

750 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  KeithRobinson 
#1 ·
2 Weeks ago i took got some new K&N filters for my 40's, and fitted them. Took all the trumpets off, fitted the backing plates, re-fitted trumpets and attached filters.

Car didnt move since then, until today, took it a run for about 20-30 miles. pulled up at a mates house and heard a rattle, like something being sucked up by a dyson hoover then rattleing about inside.

Shut engine off, checked it all over. Took rocker cover off, fine in there, then took filters off, and noticed bottom bolt on trumpet was missing, and the spark plug on that cylinder was damaged.

I'm feel physically sick, and totally gutted. I'm leaving the car down with steven after easter (wednesday) to get the head off and get it all checked/fixed. Hopefully not much damage is done as i think i caught it early!

Any one any experience of this happening, and what kind of damage should i expect?

Keith :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

See less See more
#2 ·
could have put allot dents in the top of the piston and in the head around the valves,may need new valves on that cylinder if they took a pounding,poss another piston and rod,may have scored the bore too.

cant really tell till its in bits but its certainly not good.best getting pics up of the head,piston,bore,ect when its all in bits.
bad luck :( :( :(

#3 ·
I have the carbs off now, and the port where the bit entered is all choked up on the inlet side, and all other ports are clean as a whistle. I'm leaving the rest to steven gault (guy who built the engine) for him to presure test the engine, and replace anything that needs it.

The nut is only a tiny 8mm nut, so hopefully it wont be too bad. The spark plug did take a beating tho!

Keith

#7 ·
I had the screws holding the filter on my weber 32/34 rattle themselves loose, 1 ended up in the float chamber, luckily it didn't enter the engine, I was very worried when the AA man said theres 1 missing though. Hope its not to bad mate.

#9 ·
****UPDATE*****

Car is now down with Steven Gault, head is off.

Damage is as follows:

Piston has slight pitting on top, but its not bad at all, and is safe to run with. The block bore is mint without a single scratch.

The head needs skimmed, however depending on how much is needed taken off, it may start pinking, meaning the head will need replaced.

I've sourced a new head, and will be getting thats shipped off thanks to Mark "cabrio".

The exhaust and inlet valves on that port are very slightly bent too, so both are being replaced.

What a relief!!

HOWEVER, had a little incident when the car was off the trailer, we pushed it on full lock and caught the edge of the trailer, putting a huge deep scrape in the bumper.. gutted!! Oh well, i'll get it fixed when i get my Manta mirrors painted icon_smile.gif

Keith

#10 ·
Live and learn then. It's not turned out TOO bad then. I had a very lucky escape a few years ago when the throttle spind snapped when I was running std injection. The throttle plate screws were loose but, for some reason, didn't fall out and get sucked into the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.