Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Oil Leaks Part Two

771 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rgb 
#1 ·
I spent most of my Saturday morning trying to fix my oil leaks on my cavvy gsi.

As some may know my sump has leaked for ages and Dizzy o ring needed replacing.
First sump gaskter replacement leaked.
Second time i cracked the sump.

Third time lucky yesterday i replaced the o ring on the thing that the oil filter joins to and the teo sump gaskets with grease and not to tight but tight enough. Ran the engine up and then tightened again. Every thing was perfectly cleaned.
Ok - Ran for about 30 mins ok.
few more minutes face had big smile - No leaks.

Then suddenly a drip came down from by the oil pump.... **** myself thinking it was the sump gaskets..... cleaned it all up and then saw the problem....
OIL PUMP GASKET..... NOT F88king happy.
My sump does not leak a a bit..... Oil pump gasket.

That was one problem the other is that the oil pump gasket cant be found by Vauxhall They have super seaded the part number so the gasket that comes up with the number is a throttle body housing gasket........Also requires the cam belt and oil pump out to replace.... More time and money.

Any one got a new oil pump gasket for the 20xe engine.... please.

Or where i can get one this week as i want to replace again next weekend....

NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#8 ·
Ok just an update - I have now got the following parts to hopefully complete the task at the weekend....

Front crank shaft oil seal
Oil pump gasket,
Cam belt
oil
New filter
Two sump gaskets Fourth set......
Sump still in tact.
Dizzy oil ring..

This means that hopefully after this weekend the oil leak will be no more......

Another note -

I have got a new seal for the sfi box to throttle body as i think my idle problem is because of this.
I will also clean icv and pipes etc... Throttle body etc.

Injector cleaners? what shall i use? I want to put some in with me petrol? Any preferences? how much etc.....

#13 ·
You say you've replaced the sump gasket a few times now yeah? When the sump gasket starts leaking it can sometimes mean the piston rings are knackered those causing a build up of pressure in the crankcase.

Similar sort of thing applies on top. For example, on my 8v I've had to replace the rocker cover gasket a few times now becuase my breather keeps getting blocked up thus causing a pressure build-up and the gasket giving way.

You need to ask yourself "why do I need to replace the gasket again?".

When you did change it, did you thoroughly clean up both the mating surfaces? Nt doing this can cause it to leak again, hence could be nothing!

If it was my car I would be asking "why is it?". But then again I'm like that. I ain't satisfied till its running problem free!!

Simps ;)

#14 ·
I dont think my rings are on the way out.

the reason for having to do the gaskets again and again is ....

first time - generally leaking- wrong gaskets leaked again.
Second time - Gasket split.
Third time - Sump cracked.
4th time last weekend - The sump does not leak - the oil pump gasket is leaking.
so this weekend i have all the bits to clear this problem once and for all.... yipppeee.

no more oil smells in the car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.