1.7td isuzu valve clearances
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.7td isuzu valve clearances

Drives
    Vectra V6 SRI CDTI

1.7td isuzu valve clearances

id like to adjust the valve clearances but it looks a bit awkward to do. just wondering if anyone's done them before and if so any tips?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rs1
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C SRiT & Meriva VXR
    Arent they shimmed?I wouldnt bother myself,give me such a heed ache .706 minus blah blah,oh bollox tap tap tap tap,lol.

Drives
    Vectra V6 SRI CDTI
    Yeh, you know it! Good ol' shims. Lol!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Nova SRi/astra F
    well if you engine is high milage....over 70k it will need shimming ...the valves recede into the head and close the clearences and cause extreem cold weather starting probs.... take the time to do this it will reward you in the relibility stakes and be less agg... this job is a standard service job in a dealer hovever many mechanics only pretend to do this because of time saved bonus scheme.....so it never gets done... i inherited an astra F izutd car 100k 2 christmases ago and it would not start when cold... i shimmed it and turned a potential toilet into a useable nice engined car.... then wrote it off!!!!woops!

Take the time to understand how to do this ....mr haynes explains it well... and do it you will not be sorry!!!!

Tim Ball
    Measure twice cut once

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    modified zafira
    yeah i did it once with my old corsa...got it wrong and sounded like a sewing machine...but still started. long and the short of it being if the gaps close up ur in trouble, get em even rough it will still work but be down on power (valve timing being crutial on a derv lump) at least u should be able to work out what u actualy need shim wise when its up and running. (worth making a note of what u use on each valve) so u know what shim u will actualy need to get it %100 on track. iirc its the inlets that are the problem, the exhaust valves have a hardened seat.

MIGWeb User
    Drives

How bizarre!

I've just posted a guide to how I did this in this forum, I called it "Astra Isuzu Turbo Diesel Bad Starting Cure" if you want to search for it...
    Starting my astra went from taking 10-15 seconds churning with the accelerator down to about 1 second without touching the pedals! It was a pretty easy job, just go carefull how much you take off, I got a bit over entusiastic with one of the disks and now I've got a bit of a tap from one valve. Doesn't do any damage, I've just got to buy a new shim (somewhere between 4-7 depending on thickness).
    Good luck, it is definately worth doing if you're having starting problems!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Nova SRi/astra F
    to sum up if it needs shimming do it you will not be dissapointed

tim ball
    Measure twice cut once

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra TD/Astra Sport
    my engine is quite noisy, i think there is a strong tapping from one cylinder in particular im sure the engine could run smoother, i have never ever had a problem starting the car though even when the car registered the outside temp as -3 degree's.

ive seen isuzu engines with twice the mileage of mine running much quieter then mine does, will this mean i also loose power?
    Owns a white Mk3 turbo diesel with more stopping power then engine power..... boosting 0.9bar, Now De-catted!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Cavalier 1.7td
    Old thread, I know.
    Possible n00b question: Where do you buy shims? I've just been to Vauxhall and they want to sell them in bags of 10 at a fiver a peice. So that'll be 200 squid if I need 4 different sizes, tho fortunately 2 have come out the same.
    There has to be a more sensible option though.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread