any last minute nuggets of advice (throttle bodies going on tommorow)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any last minute nuggets of advice (throttle bodies going on tommorow)

MIGWeb User
    Drives

any last minute nuggets of advice (throttle bodies going on tommorow)

I'm pretty confident now, everything is ready. Just a few things niggling in the back of my head...

1. how do you get the digi rev counter to work
    2. will all the anciliary sensors work (oil pressure etc)
    3. there is a wire labelled tacho on both the main MBE loom and the smaller dizzyless to dizzy driven adapter loom, the later being just a white enclosed male spade connector.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

NAZ
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GTE 2.0 8V
    Good luck mate, may the MIG force be with you
    "The World is Yours"

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Stuff
    Yeah best of british.

throttle bodied GTE
    Further down the list of GTE's I go!

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Drives
    Good Luck.

Don't break anything

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    dont the rev & oil gauges work directly off the sensors into the dash? mine has a wire from the coil into the dash and the oil sensor wires are the same from down by the filter.
    you got the fitting guide (tapers) from the sbd how-to bit of the site mate? i am just printing it out so i dunno if it covers anything you need.

anyway, i was under the impression the earlier engines didnt have the ecu tacho whatsit. let me know cos mine will be the same.

oh if all that just confuses you, ignore me cos i havent done it yet
    Last edited by 16vastra; 15-02-2002 at 17:34.

Drives
    Astra SRi 1.9 CDTI XP 3DR
    1. how do you get the digi rev counter to work
    Good luck - let me know how you manage it.

2. will all the anciliary sensors work (oil pressure etc)
    They go through a different part of the loom which connects above the gearbox

3. there is a wire labelled tacho on both the main MBE loom and the smaller dizzyless to dizzy driven adapter loom, the later being just a white enclosed male spade connector.
    Must be different to my loom - I take it you are keeping the dizzy then.
    Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    oh dammit, forgot all about this discussion years ago!! dont tell me i am gonna lose my rev display

Drives
    Astra SRi 1.9 CDTI XP 3DR
    I few people have managed it = these all seem to have the early dash. I know have an early one so I'll give it a go (my old new style dash failed)
    Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    3MW B18iS
    I was talking to Steve Broughton about the rev counter. He said that the reason it doesn't work off the MBE unit is because the as standard it works off the high tension side of the coil. It therefore has a stack of voltage dropping resistors in it.
    So the solution would be to take a spare digi dash and look to see if a low voltage pulse input can be tapped in somewhere.

Or the other solution is to use a coil specially for the purpose I suppose.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    i have an early dash, so thats a good start. you should too odders i would imagine
    i was under the impression (not given it 2 thoughts till now) that the green wire from the coil drove the rev display. how wrong am i?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    ok in the sbd site it says this.......
    (bear in mind i am running distributor driven)

If your engine is equiped with a distributor and coil / amplifier set up, it is not recommend because even if you have these parts the standard cap & rotor reduce in efficiency as they wear & cost over 60.00 to replace each time. Since the Distributor less coil has no moving parts so maintains a perfect spark we have never seen one wear out yet it is a false economy. The only exception to the rule is the Mk2 Astras, which are equiped with a digital Dashboard, and it is not very good at reading the tacho signal on the D/Less systems.
    Therefore i assume that its gonna work, if not i have the tacho output bit from the coil multiplug.

And yes, the green wire from chassis interface bit of the MBE loom is for the tacho,i;m hoping this is gonna make my dash work. As all the other stuff has its own loom like mike said.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    another question, i presume the MBE fires the injectors in pairs cause the plugs aint labelled but two have longer wires to obviously reach 3+4

and what about all the 0.37 volts from the throttle pot b0ll0x, please tell me its plug and play and you dont have to adjust the thing

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    yup thats part of setting the butterflys. i wasnt amused by that myself lol

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    oh man, nobody said anything about taaaaken oooz kit uuff

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    odders old boy you're gonna have to get busy with a multimeter to set up the throttle pot - it's good fun because you set it right, tighten it up, and it goes out again - or, you get it reading ok, then open/close the throttles, and it goes out again lmao - it's an initiation rite I'm afraid.

and my old style dash has always worked fine with the MBE dizzyless tacho feed

then you'll need a sychrometer (vacuum gauge) to set up the throttles spot on - that can wait though until a meet - I'm sure someone will have one you can borrow for a couple hours.. (s'ok I'm pullin yer leg.. takes about 3 hours..... I mean 15 mins lmao )

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    yeah i have the little snail air mass metre thing to balance the throttles.

How did you get your dash to work exactly ????? Was it just a case of wiring up the green tacho wire on the MBE chassis bit, to the green wire on the astra loom down by the starter motor ??

And another thing, the chassis interface bundle on the MBE loom is like right down by the ECU multiplug, i take it the astra chassis loom goes past the ecu spot in the footwell. Or in plain english, those 4 interface wires aint gonna reach to the plug by the starter motor.

+ Reply to Thread