Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Mobil 1 0w-40 in 20XE?

592 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  oilman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have been reading about this oil and there are mixed opinions. Although the brand and oil itself are among the best on the market, the viskosity is a little low. Now, I have spec sheet on it and it says
cSt@ 40 C 80
cSt@100 C 14.3
Flash Point 236
Comparing to say Total Quartz 9000 5w-40:
cSt@ 40 C 85
cSt@100 C 14
Flash Point 227
You can easily see that Mobil is thinner when cold, which is what most of us want. Because oil will flow faster on startups which when most of engine wear occur (in "normal" driving). BUT, as can be seen, when at operating temp - Mobil 1 is thicker than Total (or most SAE40 oils). Would it be enough to conclude that this oil grade is suitable for engine like 20XE? Any experience on long run?
Cheers,
George

#3 · (Edited)
jamie_f said:
best way to remember the bigger the numbers the ticker it will be, you want to have it quite thint at start up so it can get round quicker but not to thin when hot or it wont give enough protection, on a std engine the normal vaux 10/40 is fine.
That's exactly what I was on about. Semi Vaux is fine, but I cannot buy at prices you can there. Here the Mobil price is about twice that of Vaux, which is OK given price/perf ratio on both.

#5 ·
You may have problems with the 0w when the car is standing as it's pretty thin and could leak. Obviously when hot it's an sae 40 the same as 5w-40 or 10w-40.

I would look at a 5w-40 or 10w-40 as the figures you have posted don't reflect the true viscosity when cold and there is a difference between 0w, 5w and 10w.

The figures quoted are at 40 and 100 degC so not exactly cold crank figures.

There is plenty of tech data here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Cheers
Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.