Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

XE Running problems...

537 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  J_KK 
#1 ·
having some problems with my XE, dunno if anyone knows what it is and whether its easy enough to sort out?

basically the car idles at around 2k, when pulling off the mark it chokes and splutters quite frequently, once the revs get a bit higher its normally ok but generally the majority of the rev range feels very restricted, the noise is there, but the power doesn't seem to be put out, sometimes it seems to clear and suddenly the car takes off...

at first i thought it was as tho the engine was being starved of fuel, but the other day it wudn't start at all and I made use of my RAC membership, he eventually got it started by constantly turning the ignition while applying revs, once it was started it was very rough but he just held the revs at about 3k until it ran smooth after a couple minutes, he said the engine was flooded. So is it that my car is overfuelling?

any suggestions as to what the problem could be, or how it can be fixed?

#7 ·
ephi0r... ur right about the effect of puttin my foot right down, if i gradually increase its not as bad as if i just nail it. If i nail it, it feels pretty dead.

coolamasta... i'll run some simple checks tonight, if not i'll see if STT has got a spare AFM to try! the engine has been in for just over a week now, the manifold is on too... just out of curiosity, how low did it sit? as it seems to sit pretty damn low! to a point where some of the heatwrap has torn off as i've gone over speed bumps! I think i might need to raise the front suspension 20mm or so as its a bit low now with the XE weighin it down. I will get pics and that when its all up n runnin proper!

#8 ·
opelastraestate said:
coolamasta... i'll run some simple checks tonight, if not i'll see if STT has got a spare AFM to try! the engine has been in for just over a week now, the manifold is on too... just out of curiosity, how low did it sit? as it seems to sit pretty damn low! to a point where some of the heatwrap has torn off as i've gone over speed bumps! I think i might need to raise the front suspension 20mm or so as its a bit low now with the XE weighin it down. I will get pics and that when its all up n runnin proper!
It was ok on mine, sat in exactly the same place as standard (sbd build them to replace OE one so should be same size) my GSi is lowered 40mm and never had any problems with it catching?
Its also worth checking your Lambda sensor is plugged in ok, the XE's will run without it but like crap, could be a possibility.... ;)

Look forward to some pics m8! :beer:

#9 ·
mines 60mm lowered, it seemed fine for a while, i dunno if its somehow dropped or something, after a few days with the XE i heard the manifold scrape, got out and realised it was only 1" off the ground... sure it cudn't have been this low prior to this as i'd been over bumps wiv no problems? i'll have to have it looked at...! I heard something about if your gearbox drops your manifold may sit at a different angle, making it rest lower? unsure exactly about this, but i know my gearbox has defo got problems at the moment!

#11 ·
as the car is sat in gear, the gearknob can move left to right. An example is if you shift from second to third with a bit of force, as ur pushing up and right to get third, u actually push the entire gearbox unit to the right also, therefore giving u no travel to make 5th. I always have to reallign it centrally, was told it might just be the linkages?

regarding the manifold, i'm going to buy a flexijoint and remove a section of the exhaust connecting to the manifold and replace it. The whole system is rigid and i have a feeling that its under alot of stress. Hopefully with a flexijoint the manifold will sit free and not be hung so far down! fingers crossed!

#12 ·
opelastraestate said:
as the car is sat in gear, the gearknob can move left to right. An example is if you shift from second to third with a bit of force, as ur pushing up and right to get third, u actually push the entire gearbox unit to the right also, therefore giving u no travel to make 5th. I always have to reallign it centrally, was told it might just be the linkages?

regarding the manifold, i'm going to buy a flexijoint and remove a section of the exhaust connecting to the manifold and replace it. The whole system is rigid and i have a feeling that its under alot of stress. Hopefully with a flexijoint the manifold will sit free and not be hung so far down! fingers crossed!
Yeah could be the linkage, or a worn/knackered gearbox/engine mount...
That flexi stuff is crap mind, its weak and is always breaking, my mate had it and had to go back every couple of months for it to be replaced!....
Did you have a custom system building or did you mod a GSi system or simething?

#13 ·
it was a custom exhaust, i think i might just book it in and have a big overhaul on it. probably the best way to make sure the exhaust is as far under the car as possible, dont wanna be scraping my manifold and exhaust baring in mind i've spent around 700 on the system so far.

#14 ·
Mate cant u just get some rubber "elastic bands" u know what i mean, like the ones that hold backboxes up so they dont fall off, cant u get longer ones and strap then round ur manifold to something on the bottom end of the engine, so it doesnt keep falling down and scraping?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.