Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

LET is running after rebuild but few questions

578 views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  coolamasta 
#1 ·
just put the finishing touches on it. started it up and was misfiring like hell.

check round engine bay and found the brake servo pipe was not connected to the inlet manifold. put it on and fired up first time sweet as :D

i was waiting for the lifters to tap like hell but they were as silent as mice lmao

just got a few questions. i carnt for the love of god think where the little dump valve pipe goes lmao its just there and ive lost the instructions now

and also at the dizzy end there is a sensor right at the end of the inlet manifold and it has a bracket which bolts to the actual inlet manifold but i dont know where the little pipe goes for it

cheers

karl

:beer:

#5 ·
i ran in an XE, 500 miles 3000rpm max, using it variably, then increase rev limit with miles every 100 miles 1000 rpm or so, however it works but use carefully up to 1000 miles, oil change then use carefully more and more

#7 ·
do you have a atmospheric DV and you dont want to use the standard DV at all?

if so them remove the three bolts on the standard turbo, and put a nut on the diaphram to stop it from opening, then the pipe from the standard DV at turbo route this to the plug on your atmospheric DV.

TW

#8 ·
oh rite, thanks, i understand now :beer:

i also think that my fan is not working correctly as well, all the earths are fine etc and pluged in. my temp gauge in the car did not work and i have changed the thermostat now and is working correctly but does the fan work off the thermostat?? cause if the thermostat wasnt working then the fan would not know to come on, i am correct or does it work differently??

#9 ·
astragsi said:
oh rite, thanks, i understand now :beer:

i also think that my fan is not working correctly as well, all the earths are fine etc and pluged in. my temp gauge in the car did not work and i have changed the thermostat now and is working correctly but does the fan work off the thermostat?? cause if the thermostat wasnt working then the fan would not know to come on, i am correct or does it work differently??
Hi m8, thats right, the thermostat will kick the fan off , its half way up on the left hand side of the rad...
check and see if the thermostat has 2 or 3 pins coming out of it, the GSI one has the 2 stage thermo which means the fan kicks in at a slow speed at say 98 degrees and then the other will kick in if it goes over say 102 or something... Im not sure if the cally/cav use 2 stage or not...
If it is single stage, IE 2 pins then ive found that it power's the slower fan speed (has a seperate resistor that used to bolt onto the GSi fan) if this is not connected BTW you will have no fan at all....
Anyway, I was saying, if you have the 2 pin thermo, you will need to buy the GSi thermo or take it out the old rad if you still have it, or on the plug for the thermo, cut the brown/white and brown/yellow and join them opposite, so brown/white from plug joins brown/yellow on loom and vice versa...

Err, hope thats makes sence anyway!!! lmao lmao
Other than that its running ok is it mate (which mine would :mad: )
Cheers.... :beer:

#10 ·
hi, the plug i have on the loom is the 3 pins style, i carnt see how many plugs are on the rad side. i do have the GSI rad tho. so what do you suggest i do then??

yeh other than this little problem i have its sweet, fired up first time, seems to run ok. going to take it out tonight and see how it goes. start to run it in as well lmao which is going to be a pain in the *****

im sorry to hear your having all these problems with yours :beer:

#11 ·
Hmmm, thats weird then, ok do a test and use a bit of cable, quite thick and do this...
Turn ignition on so all dash lights are on, unplug the switch on the rad and bridge the brown and the brown/white, the fan should spin at full speed, and then bridge the brown and brown/yellow and it should spin at half speed...
You you get nothing from this then you have a fault in the fan wiring, if it works then yer fan switch on the rad needs replacing!

Running an engine is a pain in the arrse cus its soooo hard to resist not booting it!

Will get mine running if it kills me, lmao just more waiting time I suppose! ah well, ho hum and all that.... back to playing doom 3 lmao...

#12 ·
ok cheers for that, i will go and try it now :beer:

i know yeh, i will have to put a brick under the pedal or some thing lmao

taking the sump off its fairly easy really, not as hard as you think. it will only take you a couple of hours really from start to finish. have you got the spark sorted out??

#13 ·
astragsi said:
ok cheers for that, i will go and try it now :beer:

i know yeh, i will have to put a brick under the pedal or some thing lmao

taking the sump off its fairly easy really, not as hard as you think. it will only take you a couple of hours really from start to finish. have you got the spark sorted out??
The sump thing is on my old XE as I was taking the kent cams out, not my lovely LET (thank god!) so no hurry on that lmao ....

Yeah I got a spark but its really weak and not enough to start engine...
Im gonna "hotwire" the coil tonight and see if I can fire the bitch up!

#14 ·
oh ok, i thought it was your LET, i was gonna say your having loads of problems, thank god it aint.

anyway, the fan ran when i put a piece of wire in the plug. it might not be the fan switch on the rad becuase the temp gauge in the car did not work, it might need this to work as well??

#15 ·
On the LET and XE you got the dash sender which is in the thermostat housing with the 1 blue wire going to it, you got the larger 2-wire sensor also in the thermostat housing for the ECU to read water temp, and you got the switch for the fan in the rad, they are all un-related and one of them failing wont effect the other. :cool:
With yer fan problem its totally icolated from the dash temp not working... :)

When you bridged the 2 wires on the rad wires and it came on means you wiring is ok, so by the power of deduction, lol, that must mean you rad switch is farked... :D
Either use the XE one from yer old rad (can't remember if you said you still had it) or buy a new one, they arn't much from autovaux... :D

Hope this helps mate... :beer:

P.S you dash one may not be working becuae the connector on the blue wire that connects to the sensor (thermostat housing) is corroded, get a wire brush on it!
Otherwise it will be the little black plug in the footwell where ecu loom meets car loom or a bad connection behind the clocks... :)

Cheers m8...

#16 ·
ok thats great, i just needed to clear that up. i do have the rad some where and ive just looked for it and couldnt find it any where, i bet my dad has moved it. i will whip that one off and put it on to the LET rad then, sweet.

yeh i got the temp gauge working on the dash, i just cleaned the connector up :D

thanks for your help

:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.