Cheep Z16XE mods?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheep Z16XE mods?

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Cheep Z16XE mods?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best mods that make the best improvements...for cheap..ish..?

Astra Mk4 Sxi by the way

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

Re: Cheep Z16XE mods?

I've got the above mentioned engine in my MK4 too.

I'd recommend fitting a better intake manifold even the manzel one will make a big differance...thats the big one...rest of the things you can do are minor...if you change the intake get a unichip too to take full advantage

Smaller things to do. Find a X14XE/Z14XE exhaust manifold or get a performance one, as the exhaust manifold on the Z16 sucks and has a precat, also if you find a Z/X14 one it will mate up with the rest of your exhaust. Also at that replace the full system with a free flowing number, remove the cat too.
    I did this and the car does feel a bit better. but the MK4 is a tank and the 1.6 isn't a huge engine.

Induction system on the MK4 is pretty decent and quiet, an induction kit will promptly change all that but won't give you power, your call, i'd stick to the standard airbox and remove all the restrictions on it...its been details 100,000 times before on here.

Other than that the next big step is a turbo or TB conversion.

Good luck
    MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo T-Bar.
    260HP(Proven) - I LOVE BOOST!
    Mods to date: Momo Bitz, kenwood DVD System, Apex'i Induction kit, Apex'i FC ECU + Commander, Greddy Type S BOV, Rouge Systems Pro Fan Kit, 3 Inch Downpipe Custom 3 Inch System, Berk Intercooler, 17 Inch KEI D1's

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Do you mean the Matzel Power box? cos thats 910 inc fitting from Courtenay! I said cheap! unless you meant something else?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

theres NO cheap way to get good power from an engine mate!

if your on a tight budget mod the airbox and get a full stainless system exhaust will still cost you over 300 quid though, modding the airbox is cheap.

If thats too much for you stick a backbox on it and drill the airbox...no power gains but nice and cheap and makes good noice.

End of the story with performance is it costs money!...and lots of it, ask anyone here thats seriously into their engine the ones that come to mind are neilD daveB, AJBek, Weekenny $$$$ money gone...car fast
    Mods to date: Momo Bitz, kenwood DVD System, Apex'i Induction kit, Apex'i FC ECU + Commander, Greddy Type S BOV, Rouge Systems Pro Fan Kit, 3 Inch Downpipe Custom 3 Inch System, Berk Intercooler, 17 Inch KEI D1's

MIGWeb User
    Drives

You dont have to go stainless to get a performance exhaust.
    Ashley do a cheap range of steel exhausts.
    Dave

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

yea true but i'm sure when i priced them up they were not that much cheaper...for mild steel seems a waste of money cause they just rot away after a while

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Ashleys are not much more than 100,and most steel zausts still should last 4 or 5 yrs.
    Dave

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Think i'll wait and get a bigger engined car next

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Segomo
    Think i'll wait and get a bigger engined car next
    worked for me, still got my 1.6 16V Astra, and got a redtop MK3 GSi too

The 1.6 engine is really good, but heavily restricted!, putting on a better intake manifold such as the pulse 450 i've got sitting (now collecting dust) and a unichip sees you on the good side of 130hp, pretty good gains, but i doubt i'm going to fit mine now, just going to sell it on because the cars for sale now.

Love my MK4 Astra and love my MK3, hate having to sell one of them but needs to go, i've spend stupid amounts of money on it and wanting a 3 door MK4 or coupe now (hence signiture link) so the MK4 is getting sold, then the MK3 soon after and going to save up and try to get either a 3dr 1.8/2.0 SRi or coupe 1.8/2.0T

MIGWeb User
    Drives

segomo-If you like the car why dont you put a bigger engine in the car you have.
    Look through the boards,theres engine swaps going on all the time.
    Dave

COO
    Drives
    Astras: VXR/Tdi Disco

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny-MK4Astra
    a better intake manifold such as the pulse 450 i've got sitting
    Kenny, first of all do you know if it would fit an X16XEL mk4 ?
    Do you got anymore details on this manifold ?
    I'm looking into these options to keep the interest in my car going for a bit !

cheers

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

it was designed for the c16 and x16 engines, the only differance i've seen between the X16 and Z16 engine is the placement of the water pipe on the back of the block, and the throttle body is fly by wire, but i've converted my throttle body to cable on my Z16 engine.

So to answer your question it should fit assuming you don't have a fly by wire throttle, if you do have fly by wire then its gonna be a bit more hassle.

here's the link to the pulse 450
    http://www.velosmotorsport.co.uk/ind.htm

the people that made them have gave it up though, so you can't get them anymore. They posted on MIG that they were giving it up a few months ago

COO
    Drives
    Astras: VXR/Tdi Disco

Ahh, the velos one ... well, I'll maybe stick to the german makes...Cheers !

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

yea the velo's one is apparently the best, and the cheapest!, never heard anyone say anything bad about velo's in all my time on MIG...except they struggled to find time to answer my emails which peed me off a little, but their product certainly is good!

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Quote Originally Posted by mad coo
    Ahh, the velos one ... well, I'll maybe stick to the german makes...Cheers !
    Dont fall for the marketing hype,big names and big prices isnt 'always' the best option.
    The velos one was half the price for the same,if not better results.
    Id buy that off kenny if i were you,get yourself a nice bargain there,then get a unichip and get it rolling road mapped,with an zaust and filter youll be looking at over 130bhp.
    Dave

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Rev3 GT Turbo

i believe the dbilas TB kits were terrible in terms of power gains next to similar costing jenvey/SBD kits too...not sure about the mantzel intake, i know the velo's is pretty much the best one you can have, but the mantzel one looks fairly decent...can't back it up with power figures though

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 31-12-2010, 18:30
  2. 25-12-2010, 07:56
  3. 07-06-2010, 17:13
  4. 11-11-2009, 18:41