Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

v6 - does it need a oil cooler ?

600 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  16vmini 
#1 ·
The v6 i collected the other day did not seem to have a oil cooler on it ? unless it was taken off before i got there.

do they need them ? as i have a slight lack of room , but will find a space if needed.

Matt

#6 ·
think i have been stupid again , found this pic after searching the forums :

i have the heat exchanger there , so i guess it does not need any extra water plumbing as it gets it water from the block etc ? so i have a oil cooler , its all plumbed in and ready to work then

i am still use to a-series engines etc, where i was expecting a external oil cooler.

Matt

#7 ·
Depends on the temps you are running.

A decent synthetic oil is capable of coping with temps of 90 to 110 degC and even 130 degC for prolonged periods. It must be a proper PAO/Ester Synthetic though.

Here is something of interest from Silkolene's technical bods:

The Kawasaki GP bikes we sponsor needed an oil cooler in the Quatar GP! With air temps at 45C, the oil was reaching 170C! Over here, there isn’t much point in oil coolers when modern engines can keep a good oil pressure with thin oil. With some classic engines, such as BMC A and B, the oil pumps are struggling when the oil viscosity drops below about 15cSt, so they do need a cooler if pushed.

Over-cooled oil can be a hazard. Air retention/cavitation etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Simon

#8 ·
The V6 Thermostat runs at 92-107ºC, so the lowest the Oil is going to be when up to temperature is 92ºC and that's with a cooler.

#10 ·
16vmini said:
so there is not extra plumbing needed for this heat exhchanger then ? ie its all part of the engine/block ... no special fittings on the radiator is needed ?

thanks for all the advice

Matt

The cooler is in the Water jacket.

the 2 pipes are oil and fit by the oil filter on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.