Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

LET home made Top Hat ?!?

593 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mike hayward 
#1 ·
Alrite, just wondering what you guys thought about the idea ?
Me & my mate were thinking of making one, can get a flange laser cut to match the throttle body & was thinking of building it up in sections (kinda like a Lobster - if you know what i mean ?) starting of wide at the throttle body then tapering down towards the end ?
Would it have to be a certain size or would it just be 'the bigger the better' ?
I ain't paying £140 odd for a Regal one either !!
What d'ya reckon ?

Cheers Rich

#5 ·
On N/A motor the bigger the plunme or what ever is real name is, the general point is bigger the better. i know most u dudes will disagree but know ask your why are the C20XE top hat (SFi) so big? I know it affects the torque as the hat acts like air tank. i dont know how to describe it but it holds the in coming charged air, it to do with the pulse

#12 ·
artfulmatt said:
Ain't the size of the regal top hat 45-50mm making it even with the rest of the boost hoses etc........
The Regal job has a stepped inlet, which defaults to the standard size pipe but can be cut back (and has a 2nd ridge to get a good seal which the pipe won't "slip" off) to get the larger diameter inlet.

The ridge can be seen 30-40mm down this pic.

Loads more pics of mine at http://www.ukcartuning.co.uk/images/tophat/

I've not fitted it yet, so no idea of any difference it makes. Just another one of the things I've bought and not fitted.

#13 ·
With RDS's we turned cut the hat off leaving the plate and aluminum welded on a 2 1/2 inch 90' elbow going other side, will try to find pics but different turbo and managment so no AFM to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.