Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

5 speed in a turbo

726 views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  SimonT 
#1 ·
anyone ever ran a 5 speed box in a turbo?
or is this possible?
also if the 6th gear has gone in a 6 speed box how will i know, will it still run as normal in 1st to 5th gear and just not go into 6th :confused:

#9 ·
I ran an F16-CR and it lasted 5 months of heavy abuse, then the main shaft bearing exploded!!

#10 ·
Nova16v said:
I ran an F16-CR and it lasted 5 months of heavy abuse, then the main shaft bearing exploded!!

That would be enough to put me off.

100mph and both front wheels lock solid with no hope of unlocking them :eek:

#12 ·
so the general opinion is............... DONT DO IT lmao
the only reason i ask the question was i have a stolen recovered cav turbo (ex police) and a doner cav turbo shell just crying out for a LET but the ex cop car has only got a bloody 5 speed box in. either that or the 6th gear has fell out some where along the way cause i cant find the thing any were :D
BUT I CANT FIND SOME1 TO SELL ME A 6 SPEED BOX :( :( :(

#14 ·
If the box has F20 stamped on it mate by the gear change plunger then its a 5 speed

I blew one up on my nova turbo in 6 months but my replacement has lasted a year now. Best to wait and get a six speeder for it, thats what im fitting this year if all goes well.

How is the cav coming along mate :)

#16 ·
scooby said:
If the box has F20 stamped on it mate by the gear change plunger then its a 5 speed

I blew one up on my nova turbo in 6 months but my replacement has lasted a year now. Best to wait and get a six speeder for it, thats what im fitting this year if all goes well.

How is the cav coming along mate :)
hi there mate
i managed to get hold of a transfer box, just trying to get hold of a F28 now, they are like rocking horse poo :( lmao
the car has been strip inside and cleaned and put back together :cool:
I WANT A 6 SPEEDER :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
:)

#17 ·
some cav turbos have *really* notchy 6th gears which are very difficult to engage. are you sure its 5spd?

#18 ·
JohnA said:
Maybe the copcar has a disjointed linkage mate (and it's a 6sp all along)
I don't think the police would order a turbo with a substandard gearbox.
GOD BLESS YOU MATE :cool:
if it wasnt for reading this post i wouldnt have went out and checked the box. but after doing this i have discovered that IT IS A BLOODY F28 after all :D
but why cant i sellect 6th. whats this crack on dislinkage :confused:
any other reason why i wouldnt be able to select 6th

#19 ·
tathan said:
some cav turbos have *really* notchy 6th gears which are very difficult to engage. are you sure its 5spd?
well i have only driven this car once as its break only and not ment to be driven on the road, but i did try hard to find 6th at the time and it just seemed as tho it just wasnt there, hence the reason i thort it was a 5 speed

#22 ·
ciderman2004 said:
well i have only driven this car once as its break only and not ment to be driven on the road, but i did try hard to find 6th at the time and it just seemed as tho it just wasnt there, hence the reason i thort it was a 5 speed
mine was the same when i first bought it - taking about five stabs at it straight back from fifth normally did it lmao

it'll be cos the linkage is slightly off and needs a bit of fiddling (ie trial and lots of error) to get it adjusted right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.