Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Cav gear selector in Nova?

4K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  dathers 
#1 ·
Anybody done the mod as per the competition build manual?

Is it worth the effort? (i'm fitting an XE if that makes any difference)

Cheers

Ryan

#13 ·
projectjordan said:
what about the bearings as mentioned in the manual?

necessary? or do these came from the donor cav setup?

cheers

ryan

you don't need them with the cav setup, you might if you use the Group A method though.

there was a company selling something like in that pic 'dathers' put up but it was £140 or there abouts :confused:

dathers how much did it cost to make that one?

#14 ·
garethbowers said:
as you prob know, im in the middle of restoring and converting a mk2 cab to v6.

well the engine is in and running, sounds great bit loud but pop pop grunt bang :D

anyways few people asked the other day on another thread how hard it is to do the selector conversion.

well the answer is it's a piece of p155.

things you need,

1) gte 16v gearbox mount,
2) gte 16v- mk3 astra-cav mechanism and gear stick (complete with throw bar)
3) 25mm hole cutter.

How to do it.

1) Remove gearbox mount and fit 16v one,
2) Remove mk2 selector totally from car,
3) Remove centre console,
4) Weld small plate over old selector hole,
5) Place new gear selector throw bar over plate and position it as far back to the lip just behind old hole, ( about 2/3 inches you will see where i mean),
6) Mark where the 4 holes are and drill out 3mm,
7) Now if you look where the heater metrix goes through the bulk head, there is a pozi drive screw, drill a 25mm hole approx 1inch to the left of it,
8) Push bar through hole and bolt selector down,
9) Place selector mechanism onto gearbox mount and pin in place,
10 Place both gearbox selector and gearstick in reverse,
11) Locate push bar into mechanism and tighten 13mm nut.

JOB DONE. :beer:

#16 ·
I did this on my LET Nova, awesome shift, 10 times better than the Nova cack, also I could run the exhaust higher (custom built exhaust)

#18 ·
i was gony use the grpA setup but warned off it cause i was using a standard gearbox and the linkage is basically changing to fast to let the standard syncros/baulk rings do their job. only suited to a straight cut box.

the grpA setup is different to the cav one though as far as i know

rodgerq

#20 ·
yeah i had noticed you hadnt used a short shift linkage. at the most thats what i'll use, a short shift. there is a company who can rose joint your linkage for you. are you planning on selling the ones you make?

rodgerq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.