Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Cav gear selector in Nova?

4K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  dathers 
#1 ·
Anybody done the mod as per the competition build manual?

Is it worth the effort? (i'm fitting an XE if that makes any difference)

Cheers

Ryan

#28 ·
So exactly what are the advantages, obviously, higher exhaust monuting, but not really a major consideration in a road car. I thought the aim was to do away with the linkage shown in Dathers pic, but this is obviously not the case, and so somewhat nullifies the whole thing. So far as I know the cav selector and the nova one (in the cabin) both operate in the same way so no advantages there, so what exactly does it acheive????

Dathers, how does the shift feel with the play taken out of the std linkage???

Any details on what size of bearings you used???

#32 · (Edited)
alistairolsen said:
Dathers, how does the shift feel with the play taken out of the std linkage???

Any details on what size of bearings you used???
It gives it a very positive,mechanical feel,its not just getting rid of the play,you do away with some rubber parts aswell so that adds to the mechanical feel.
I used M6 male rod ends and M8 female rod ends,its just what we had at work,if we had more i would have used M8 males instead of the M6 males.
The one in the pic is only a test thing,im gonna redo it with rodends of a different size(as above)and im gonna make a nicer looking pivot beam for it(the origional nova bit in the middle)with several mounting holes so i can alter how quick or slow the change is.
The actual gear stick assembly in the nova only really gets slopy as an o ring wears out which gives a few mm play,which is a cm or two at the top of the stick,just replace the o-ring sorts that out.
Id say what ive done is better if you dont wany a massive zaust,my magnex still fits without catching.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.