Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

New turbo or recon turbo?

761 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Miles 
#1 ·
Thinking bout getting my turbo recon'd. its a standard turbo for a c20let (kkk16 iirc).

The engines fairly standard at mo, but i will be squeezin some more horses out of it later (ecu, bigger intercooloer etc). Is it worth reconnin the kkk16 and carry on using that, or buying a bigger better turbo?

If so, which where and how much?

#3 ·
Well, hybrid or new turbos in this country are extremely expensive. I was recently quoted around £225 to recon my turbo, which includes the whole kaboodle, i.e. bearings, oil seals, etc. This also included the labour, and full balance, etc.

Not a bad price really, much cheaper than getting a hybrid or new turbo, but only if you're not intending to do that in the near future. If you are thinking that you might want a hybrid in the next year or so, then you might as well take the plunge now, and get it hybridised ( if you can hybrid the KKK16! )

#4 ·
Do a search from what I posted about my turbo within the last week or so.

I've just got a stage 1 hybrid from Turbo Dynamics, cost me £900 and the turbo dynamics spec is

"STAGE 1 - Retail Price - £900.00

MD61 Special Turbo Dynamics designed high flow six blade compressor wheel, (45mm inducer) with re-profiled compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, twin turbine seal modification for improved oil sealing, new strengthened actuator bracket with stainless steel heat shield to take bolt-on, bolt-off canister, 12 – 14p.s.i. adjustable wastegate actuator, T.H.W.A. fitted with new tighter tolerance wastegate bush and new style arm & valve assembly, shims and tig welded crank assembly."

The guy said this is good for 300-310bhp, and the stages up start to get laggy.

I sent mine for recon, but they wanted £807 to fix it, as it needed a new exhaust housing and various other bits, so I paid the extra £90 to get the hybrid, which is still based on my original unit.

I've never heard of anyone needing a basic recon on these, its always more.

I rang a few other places for prices before I went ahead, and none of them seemed as professional as TD, but were all a bit cheaper by approx £100, but were also very vauge (sp?) about what their hybrids actually were. I'd also had a couple of recommendations for TD, and heard a lot of bad things about the turbo recon market in general, so decided to bite the bullet and pay the extra. For the price I probably could have imported a big turbo and had a fancy manifold made to suit, but the rest of my spec wouldn't match it and i cant afford to bring up to suit the turbo.

Edit: The price for the hybrid is £900 + vat, but I said that was out of my budget so he knocked 15% off, I also got them to give me standard actuator back, so barter with them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.