Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

K & N Air Filter........

887 views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  lashed 
#1 ·
I want to replace my air filter and I've found a K & N 57i induction kit on the web for £58. Is this a good kit to go for if im just looking for a meatie sound and slightly better performance, nothing too excessive.
Cheers the help.

#2 ·
I tried a K&N a while ago and wasnt too impressed, managed to get hold of a Piercross Vortex and this beats the hell out of the first one!
Running a Omega 3.0 V6 and a mate compared the sound of my motor to big V8 after fitting it, certainly turns heads whilst giving it some throttle!
Noticed a good improvement in performance and acceleration from a standing start, fuel consumption also seems a little better as the engine is breathing easier and seems to rev more freely, worth the extra £20-30.
Hope this helps!

#3 ·
Just been on the pipercross website and found the one I need. Just got to search around for the best prices now as chances are ordering direct from them would be expensive. Cheers for the advice.

#4 ·
Do you have a mk4 gsi as in your sig???

From what i have read up on these engines dont like open cone filters as it gets very toastie in the engine bay and all that hot air does nothing for your performance.

Many people just take the restrictions out of the original air box, fit a vectra c air intake pipe and just use an uprated panel filter, eg k&n or courtenay foam filter.

Otherwise any other enclosed air filter will do. One other thing, there was a rumor that these aftermarket air filters were causing the air flow meters to pack in. Dont know how true this is.

#5 ·
At the moment Im driving a MK4 SRi, I wish I could afford a GSi. Have you heard or read about any problems with the 2.0l non turbo engines with regards air filters. Don't really want to fit one and have problems with the engine.

#11 ·
Ive not heard of any probs with the 2litre sri. I think what happens with the turbos is that they suck the oil out of the filter covering the afm, which in turn wipes it out. I think they are £120 to replace.

As already said, it would be best to keep it enclosed. The vipers etc are good (a lot of astra owners are using the bmc filters now) but an uprated filter in the std box (derestrict the box too by removing the extra pipework in there) would give similar results, and you dont have to tell the insurance!!!

The others do look better in the engine bay tho!!!

#12 ·
It's basically a toss up between a K & N 57i induction kit for around £58 and a Pipercross VFC154 for £87.99. Been trying to find some reviews on which would be better, but with no luck. Im swaying towards the K & N as I haven't modyfied any other parts car to increase performance so think this one would dot the job.

#15 ·
make sure u have a decent cold air feed 2 it though coz it will do feck all if u dont,i made the mistake of fitting one 2 my old astra mk3 sri and forgot 2 put the bloody cold air feed in and it ran pretty crap plus it was heavy on the fuel.

#16 ·
The kit says it comes with a cold air hose, whether it's a decent one or not, I'll have to see when I receive the kit. If not, I'll buy a decent one. Thanks for the tip!

#20 ·
I suppose the good thing about using a fanta bottle, if you mess it up all you got to do is go down the corner shop and buy another for 79p.

I'll see what the hose in the kit is like, it may do the job, if not chances are there'll be some going cheap on Ebay.

#21 ·
pudsey said:
Otherwise any other enclosed air filter will do. One other thing, there was a rumor that these aftermarket air filters were causing the air flow meters to pack in. Dont know how true this is.
I've read up on that. Aparrently if you over-oil an air filter and some of the oil vapour get sucked past the hot wire on certain types of MAF sensors then the oil will oxidise the wire rendering the unit useless.

Of course the manufacturers all totally denied this could ever happen but its food for thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.