Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Gearbox questions.

1K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Ghost_Walker 
#1 ·
Rob and myself took an F16 apart this evening.
Very interesting and I'll be photographing the internals for future reference.

Now, there are few questions on my mind.

1) The old F16-F20 debate. What exactly is different about them?
The F20 diff looks bigger.
The diff bearings look identical from what we've seen.
The clutch arm is larger on the F20, bigger diameter.

Are the internal bearings larger in the F20?

2) If I want to change the final drive ratio then I need to change the pinion on the output shaft and the diff gear.

Is it possible to remove all of the gears from the output shaft? It looks to me like the circlip comes off the end and then the gears can be pulled off?

Then I could fit the output shaft from another gearbox.

Someone said that the whole clustur has to be changed as one. Why is this so?

Funnily, my boss at work said that I should remove all of the synchros and make it into a dog box.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tom,

From what I remember the bigger/chunkier diff allows for the higher torque capability in the F20...

Thats as far as my gearbox knowledge goes...

Got a F20 I'm gonna strip a couple of bits from to fit in the F28...so my knowledge should be alittle better after that! :eek: I hope! :rolleyes:

#3 ·
no idea why you would do the above vauxmaster

yeah the main shaft is attached to the pinion, so you have to change the lot..involves the gear swapping as i am sure you have noticed
internal bearings probably are different as the whole unit is a new thing (f16/f20 wise)

#4 ·
All the gears come off and youre left with

:D

the main bearing is roughly the same size but is very different f16 to f20 so the main bearing and the plate that supports it need to come from the fd donor box.

#8 ·
f20 everytime old boy. stronger and have an lsd as standard. not a good one but its there.. but does make a huge difference over a f16/18 etc.

#11 ·
WeeKenny said:
the main bearing is roughly the same size but is very different f16 to f20 so the main bearing and the plate that supports it need to come from the fd donor box.
that seems very logical. but presumably the F20 was bigger for the simple reasons of strength. maybe using the F16 version is counter productive ?

also, i read somewhere, sometime, about this clever minute locking facility in the standard F20 diff. wives tail i think, after studying mine.

#12 ·
I wonder if you can swap an F18W 5th gear pair for those on the F20?

Be nice to have the close ratios, and an overdrive for cruising.

#13 · (Edited)
16vastra said:
lol thought you were going to fit the whole f20 internals to the f28 casing, hence the err ok response lol
lmao
PhilM said:
His sig says it all Rob ;)
Yep, being mated to a XE...And yes it's afew kilos heavier and there is only a slight difference in ratio's, but it will help in the end! ;)

#16 ·

So you had a bike wheel in your gearbox?

Anyway, my theory of how to swap the final drives is correct then.
You remove the output shaft from the box with the required final drive, strip all the gears off, and then fit the gears from the box to be used. ie: just swap the output shaft with the pinon on and the diff gear.

#20 ·
0ddball said:
that seems very logical. but presumably the F20 was bigger for the simple reasons of strength. maybe using the F16 version is counter productive ?
Not bigger just different (there may be a little in the size but not alot)

#23 ·
it was my box odders we stripped so kenny could have the fd as i buggered it. it kept jumping out of 5th and 3rd was noisy as one of the box casing bolts had sheared off deep inside the casting. keep dropping oil everywhere and as i used third the most it got noisy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.