Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1.3/1.4 8v engine swap

573 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Blue Calibre 
#1 ·
what is the actual difference apart from the size of the 1.3 and 1.4 8v ohc engines. i have a 1.3 merit astra and to put a 1.4 sr engine in it. will my 1.3 gear box, drive shafts, exhaust manifolds, starter motor etc fit my 1.4. this is becuse im only buying the engine without the carbs or anything else.
any help needed
cheers

#3 ·
£100. Need to swap it though cos there is something wrong with my sump on the 1.3 cos it leaks when the engine is running. had the gasket replaced about 5 times even with vauxhall gaskets. tried instant gasket and that didnt last. i spoke to someone who told me there may be to much compression which is forcing the oil out through the weakest point. all the breathers are o.k. can i just fit the 1.4 block and sump.

#4 ·
i don't know if it ain't got injection but....

a 1.3 astra hasn't got a 13sr engine has it? i thought it had smaller carb and worse cam? so a 14sr will be a fair bit more powerful. but everything i'd imagine should swap over, although you might want to try and find a 14sr carb for it.

#6 ·
if you do a bit of investigation on previous posts in this section of the board it will tell you how to combine different parts of the 1.2/1.3/1.4 OHV engines to get the best power out your motor

#7 ·
The 1.4 nova engine i think will have a different shape exhaust manifold, so you might need to fabricate your own down pipe connections.

Use the weber carb, get it jetted for a 1.4 obvioulsy. You may also need a new adapter plate depending on what carb was used on the 1.4 originally.

I think all the loom will be the same, so you shouldnt have any problems there.

As dave said, you can use certain parts off a 1.2 a 1.3 and a 1.4 engine to good effect.

Might be worth investigating since your going to the trouble of swapping the engines anyway.

#9 ·
braders said:
any other suggestions on what engine to put in the astra. just need it to stop leaking and maybe give me more power. the car is mint so i want to keep it other wise i think i would have sold it with the hassle it has caused me.
Well you could try and source a 1.6 carb engine, stick ya weber on that and get it all properly setup.

That should see a little more power.

Converting to an injection engine is a bit of an arse with all the loom, fuel tank/pump etc.

#11 ·
braders said:
i got told that althogh the 1.6 carb engine runs on a carb there is still a small ecu to give with it or something. proving hard to source one aswell.
Yeah there is a little ecu. Not like a 'proper' ECU, just a ickle one. :D

Shouldnt be too hard to wire in i wouldnt have thought.

Although if you cant find one just stick in a 1.4. Probably less hassle for ya.

:beer:

#12 ·
well if you went for the 1.6 cabr option they do have more power and rev smoother then the 1.4's in standard spec in my opinion.

early models wthout ECU's can be found although i think the ECU models are more common in 1990+ vx models, all it does is give it a rev limit as far as i know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.