Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Engine dropping out of vauxhall Nova - Helpy please

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Dexta 
#1 ·
Ok, ive almost finished dropping the engine out of my 1.4 SRi Nova (yes Nova) all i need to do now is remove the clutch to be able to dissconnect the engine from the gearbox (the gearbox is staying in the car) Only problem is it seems, i cant actually find a way to remove it! someone mentioned something about applying pressure to that and another disk in order to actually get it out. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dex

#9 ·
then do it properly and remove the input shaft

take off the gearbox end plate, undo the circlip and remove the shaft as per haynes instructions, that way ur not trying to have to get the input shaft out, and u dont need to touch the clutch cover plate etc, that just makes it harder to put bac together

#11 ·
naa thats junk mate ive got the hanes in front of me and it doesnt mention the clutch anywhere

page 1.29 section 46

apart from the input shaft the only other thing in that area u need to remove is the flywheel cover plate - which is external to the gearbox so nothing to do with the clutch

#12 ·
apart from the input shaft the only other thing in that area u need to remove is the flywheel cover plate - which is external to the gearbox so nothing to do with the clutch

Thats what i mean, sorry my bad, its the 1st time ive done this. Ive definitley undone the shaft and brought it out as far as it will go. Ive also undone what i thought was the flywheel cover plate as it must be then and ive undone all the bolts connecting the coverplate to what must be the flywheel. In haynes, apparently the next step is to remove the wheel from the apiture.

#13 ·
Dexta said:
Thats what i mean, sorry my bad, its the 1st time ive done this. Ive definitley undone the shaft and brought it out as far as it will go. Ive also undone what i thought was the flywheel cover plate as it must be then and ive undone all the bolts connecting the coverplate to what must be the flywheel. In haynes, apparently the next step is to remove the wheel from the apiture.
are you following the guide for clutch removal? just do what odders says and undo all clutch toflywheelbolts and with draw the input shaft, ,make sure both plates are off the bottom of the engine.gearbox and presto, engine out

#15 ·
u still didnt need to touch the clutch

if u look towards the gearbox from the engine side the flywheel cover plate is a half moon shape piece of metal at the bottom of the gearbox bell housing

by removing the clutch itself its gonna make it difficult to get the clutch properly aligned after refitting the engine

and u will still need to remove that half moon piece of metal if u havent already

#16 ·
Aragorn said:
u still didnt need to touch the clutch

if u look towards the gearbox from the engine side the flywheel cover plate is a half moon shape piece of metal at the bottom of the gearbox bell housing

by removing the clutch itself its gonna make it difficult to get the clutch properly aligned after refitting the engine

and u will still need to remove that half moon piece of metal if u havent already
yeah, but getting the engine out with the clutch on it can be a pain, involving removeing pulleys and stuff, tbh i'd have had the whole lot out, and its no harder re aligning the clutch than it is when you change a clutch really, just nip the bolts, pop the input shaft inthen tighten the bolts up

#18 ·
Dexta said:
F**K SAKE, i just read yaynes and said only to use *part of section* to find out how to remove the shaft!!!!

So i dont need to tinker with the rest of it at all then?
you dont have to, no, but it can be a bit tricky getting the engine over far enough to get the clutch to clear the bell housing, so it can be easier with the clutch left on the box, thats why i asked if you wer following the clutch removal guide

#19 ·
Right ok, it all makes sense now!
Thank god, Well everythin is dissconnected, the only thing im kind of stuck on is where the guy was mentioning about a half moon metal cover plate at the fly wheel, thats the only thing i cant seem to find.

#21 ·
Oh yeah mate, bob on, got that off already! i thought you were going on about a cover plate or something actually inside it that i havnt found. I know now the only thing keeping it up is the mounts, The shaft is deffinitley out, that 1/2 moon plate removed, now finally is there anything im overlooking?
Sorry to be a pain, i just didnt fancy dropping the engine to hear the cracking of different parts!
Also for those who have done it before, as i am dropping it, what size wood would be suitable to spread the weight? as it will be dropped on the sump to stop it from cracking etc.
All help much appreciated
Dex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.