Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Engine mount thing snapped, help needed ASAP!!!!

501 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Addz 
#1 ·
Was changing all 3 engine mounts today.

First one, drivers side, done no problems.

Passenger side, the bolts from underneath were far too tight to undo.

In the end something went snap :eek:

It wasnt the bolt. It was the square thing on the inside. Its like a square nut.

Is this attatched to the car, and now ive busted it off?

What should i do?

Its the square nut thing thats in that hole is what im on about.

What should i do :(

See less See more
#2 ·
There are 4 bolts. Two either side of the "U" attaching the mount to the chassis. And two in the centre of the mount attaching the mount to the actual bracket(looks the shape of a ducks bill in the pic) that goes between the block and the mount.

What you've broke and how much help this is to you i do not know!

#5 ·
lee may said:
The bit you broke is the captive nut.

Its so you dont need to get a spanner in the hole to stop the nut spinning.

Just use a normal nut to replace it once its off.
Ahhhhh righty.

The trouble im having is to get the bolt out now the captive nut is broken.

It must be proper rusted in as on the other one the bolt wont even move unless busting a gut with a long bar, even though the captive nut is broke on that aswell! :eek:

I have retired for the day, and am planning to attack both the bolts with the drill tomorrow to get em out.

Other than drilling through the blighters, is there any other methods i could do to get em out?

#7 ·
FFS! :mad:

Ive tried everything to get the f*cking bolts out.

Tried drilling them out. Got some new drill bits to sort it out. It doesnt even cut into the bolt that well :confused:

I've tried chiselling it. Crow bar. Im running out of options.

Car is obvioulsy undriveable.

How the f*ck can i get these 2 poxy f*cking bolts out?

And whats the bolts made of, Kevlar?

And Vauxhall dont f*cking help, not even making it straightforward to get to.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRICIATED.

How do nut splitters work?

#9 ·
novashed said:
can you get an angle grinder in there?
My old man is gonna bring his angle grinder home from work tomorrow, although i doubt theres a lot of room to manovure under there.

Its just to fustrating. All because of 2 rusted bolts everything goes to sh*t.

Its 2 bolts FFS!

And they seem to be indestructable aswell. A new set of HSS drill bits costing over 20 quid, and they still wont make a big impression on them! :eek:

#11 ·
BEN LEE said:
grind the head of the bolt then hit it into the hole and replace with a new nut and bolt.

if you have acsess to a welder and can get to the captive nut then weld it back onto the car.
The captive nut its mashed completley, plus i dont have a welder, so reusing it is kinda out of the question :)

Would it be an idea to drop a new bolt down instead of pushing it up?

I mean as long as i can get a spanner through the holes to keep a grip, it would be easier wouldnt it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.