Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

corsa GSi engine

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  B8 GHY 
#1 ·
just bought a corsa GSi, its a '94 L reg, anyone know which engine is fitted in these? (obviously an XE).
its done 49000 so what problems am i likely to get when the mileage stars to build up?

#3 · (Edited)
firstly i just like to say Congratulations on finding a GSI with milleage that low man, very rare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( how much did you get it for???

u got exact same as mine :D 94 L reg Corsa GSI c16xe :D but mine has now got 90k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

if your car has been looked after well in past, and you maintain, treat it well and look after it very well you can get it passed 100k easily........BUT....

....if its had bad sevice history then the nightmare begins at about 60k miles lmao

the c16xe is HIGHLY prone to oil leak/dripping/burning problems if not looked after well!!!! as i have found..but then again it is a 10 year old car now!

best cure is a Full rebuild with... (over sized)piston rings, valve stem seals, new gaskets all around...and it starts to get expensive if you have to do a rebore, new pistons, oil pump, water pump etc....upto 1 grand!

#4 ·
I picked it up for 2700 so it wasnt cheap- but worth it :) been well looked after interior is perfect, only minor rust on bodywork which i'll sort in the next few weeks.

Its got almost FSH, MOT last month just had a brake hose and 2 new tyres, passed all emissions first time, if all goes well im hoping to get another 40 or 50k out of it.

#5 ·
my first piece of advice is get the timing belt and idlers changed ASAP. They are a known weak spot on these engines.

I bought mine with 40K on the clock, now at 113K. The engine has never gave me any major problems. Crankshaft sensor needed replacing at about 85K. Water pump and clutch needed replacing at 112K. Lifters are starting to get a bit noisy however....

#8 ·
They're lovely cars....... and that engine is a peach......when it's working properly..

A LOT of them are now suffering serious engine maladies- mainly oil burning, ocassionally bottom end probs.
I had two seperate people ring me at work last week asking for a lump, both had crankshaft wear that was too far gone to salvage.

You should be ok with your baby mileage- just keep her well serviced !

#10 ·
should have pics by midweek when iv polished it! unfortunately its red so it needs alot of TLC, a bit of super resin should shine it up nice though...

to give you an idea its dropped 45mm on 17" kahn RS-S wheels - if anyones interested im lookin for some decent 16s, im willing to swap or part-ex

#12 ·
Aragorn said:
big col: what were the symptoms you were experiancing when u had to change the crank sensot
the ECU light came on and the engine was limited to about 4000rpm. Also it took about 10 secs of cranking before it would start.

Flashed out the error code using the paper clip method. This returned error code 19.

#15 ·
astraderv said:
They're lovely cars....... and that engine is a peach......when it's working properly..

A LOT of them are now suffering serious engine maladies- mainly oil burning, ocassionally bottom end probs.
I had two seperate people ring me at work last week asking for a lump, both had crankshaft wear that was too far gone to salvage.

You should be ok with your baby mileage- just keep her well serviced !

So whats actually wrong with these engines?

if im right are these the same block found on the nova engines but with different bore size!!

#17 ·
No the block is the same as the C14SE and the C16SE, pistons are different etc, but essentially the same.

#18 ·
hmmm just as i thought. well they reduced the bore size from the _16SE (80.0mm) to make the walls thicker as the early 1.6 small block suffered oval bore due to heat build up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.