Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Adjusting clutch bite on Cally Turbo

581 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BEN LEE 
#1 ·
Hi

Whilst moving the car up and down the drive today I found that the clutch is biting right at the very bottom (ie. hardly disengaging totally).

Thinking back I do remember that when the car was totally warmed up it was sometimes difficult to get into gears when stationary as the clutch wasn't totally disengaging.

Whilst doing the brake bleed today I did look at the cable and there does seem to be a lot of thread after the clutch arm so it looks to be pretty much adjusted to its max (although I will look closer tomorrow).

I presume like most other cars (unlike my Focus with hydraulic clutch) the more you wind the cable through, the higher the clutch pedal goes. Mine is currently lower than the brake pedal so I guess I can (if there is any thread left) just wind the nut further up the cable? Any bad side effects? Is it supposed to be self adjusting?

I can't believe that Vauxhall didn't fit a new clutch with the new engine 26K ago but if it has reached its end of life then I guess 106K is probably pretty good for a 4x4 car.

Ideas/advice appreciated.

ta
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
lift the pedal upwards and get someone to pull the end of the cable pulling more cable thru the bulkhead and then wind the shaped black bit on the gearbox end furhter up the thread closer to the clutch arm and that will more the biting point

tom

#3 ·
Or...........
might be the same on other Vaux's but for the clutch cable, correct adjustment is as follows:

You get a long stick/piece of wood and measure from the centre of the clutch pedal to the outer edge of the steering wheel,do this with the pedal at rest and full down then, making a mark on the stick both times.
Then measure between the marks and check it against the specified distance.
Think it's 130/140mm(i think)...pedal should be just below the brake pedal.

Check also the cable is routed correctly in the engine bay. There is usually a hooked metal bracket thingy that supports it from the gearbox to bulkhead

For the gear linkage :

This should apply to most of the Vaux gearboxes...
Re set the linkeage...set in neutral, on the top of the gearchange housing on the box there should be a small plastic plug... if you remove this then insert a 4.5 mm drill in the hole that is there and into the gearchange (need to twist the rod one way or the other).Release the clamp on the gearchange tube. Un clip the gearlever cover and push the gearstick to the left and insert a 4.5 mm drill into the two holes there (earlier models need someone to hold it in line with an arrow.Tighten the clamp and all gears should be achieved...don't forget to remove drills!!

It is recommended to get a new plastic plug, but you should be ok to re use it

#4 ·
Tom Williams said:
lift the pedal upwards and get someone to pull the end of the cable pulling more cable thru the bulkhead and then wind the shaped black bit on the gearbox end furhter up the thread closer to the clutch arm and that will more the biting point

tom
Thanks Tom, thats what I expected, although I though it would be a nut not a "shaped black bit"

Nice info from angryman too, ta.

Another mucky hand day tomorrow it seems.

#6 ·
I hate that description of pedal alignment the Haynes has, I tried to do that with my first Mk2 Astra to check the pedal height, then realised I had an adjustable steering wheel. Waste of time. Much better to do it until its just higher than the brake pedal, or it works fine and gear changes are smooth.

#9 ·
Astra Dan said:
I hate that description of pedal alignment the Haynes has, I tried to do that with my first Mk2 Astra to check the pedal height, then realised I had an adjustable steering wheel. Waste of time. Much better to do it until its just higher than the brake pedal, or it works fine and gear changes are smooth.
Fair enough ,but so long as it's from the clutch pedal fully depressed and to a fixed point on the wheel it works...has done for me many a time :)
Just below is correct setting usually

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.