Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Can I use these pistons? (big pic)

583 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  chip 
#1 ·
An X 14XE after piston to valve contact from cambelt snappage:

See less See more
#2 ·
bendy valves was it?

they look ok though mate. as long as they aint holed or got any rgas etc off the edges that could touch and score the bores then i think you should be ok with them

rodgerq

#3 ·
pistons are generally ok to reuse except in the most extreme situations, i.e. as rog said when the piston crown is ragged and it can score the bore.

Piston 4 looks the worst - look at the bottom right of the crown on piston 4 looks a bit rough, clean them up

#5 ·
best way to tell is to see if the piston rings turn freely, if the piston has been damaged, its more than likely the ring groove will be slightly crushed, pinching the ring, so to speak

#9 ·
You have two choices:
try it and see
or strip it and measure it

unless you have a lot of money in the engine, id go for the try it and see approach personally with no real visible damage (well going by the picture)

#11 ·
rogerq, nope, not on a snotty old xe like this, i would just chuck it all back together and hope for the best mate.

its a case of knowing when to bother doign things properly and when to just get on with it i reckon, i pride myslef on my ability to bodge thigns together in a hurry when i need to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.