the sump gasket needs changing (dont thay all!), but that isnt my major leak!i installed a splitfire oil pressure gauge, removing the standard low pressure switch. Oil leaks out of here at a fair rate!ive had the bolts out and cleaned them, tried placing a copper washer between the attachments supplied with the kit and the block, that didnt work, my latest attempt was removing the washer (someone in a hydraulics place said that the thread was tapered and therefore doesn't need a washer, should be self-sealing??), i then applied sealant to the threads of the bolts supplied with the kit, but it still leaks (esp when the oil warms up and becomes less viscous. what the hell can i do to stop this problem (ie a particular type of sealant?), and is this a common problem?!?
lol i wouldnt advise that
there are 2 ways to do the sump...1 is to do it all bone dry and with clean surfaces, i did this and its been fine. the other is to use a small amount of rtv on all surfaces, but if any gets into the sump then your pickup could have issues since sealant seals things (funnily enough)
I got the two cork gasgets from vauxhall and used the black rtv sealent. Put the sealent on each surface then fitted the sump together. Left overnite with no oil in, for sealent to set. popped oil in next day, took for spin and kept re-checking bolts for looseness for the first 1k till tight.
the fittings go into the block, so i doubt that would be cracked, the fittings are brass ( i think) so im sure these would crack before the block. just need to find a decent sealer such as the one m.d suggested...