As Mig was down I thought I would get on and do some work instead.
The idles been sitting at 1K for the last week or more and I do remember it being at 850rpm when I first put the engine in 3 weeks ago, so I thought I would have a good clean out.
Ran the engine up to temp first to soften any carp thet may be in the pipework or icv. Checked the large camcover breather pipe, that was clear. The small one wasnt so I did what I normally do with the 18xe and sprayed carb cleaner down it followed by the (dont laugh) foot pump, normally 30psi and plop out comes a lump of sludge and its all clear till next time. No such luck today, had to rod it out with a bit of 1sq/mm copper wire to get it clear. Removed the air feed pipe to the icv and squirted some cleaner/lubricant down the tube, refitted and started engine.
Still ticks over at 1K....grrrr.
Off with the icv and hoses, didnt look dirty, still had the lub in it from earlier. Washed it out anyway with carb cleaner, re-lubed, inspected hoses, no splits, refitted. Start engine, idles at 2K now! blip throttle and it now hunts between 2K and 2.5K, blip throttle again and its 850rpm. Stop engine try again and same happens. Tried moving the icv about with engine running, no change...grrr again.
Got spare icv out and cleaned/ lubed it, fitted that one and back to 1K idle but no nasty ups and downs. Put on engine loads like lights rear screen etc and idles at 850rpm.
Thought I would leave well enough alone at this point as its obvously a black art.
Just as a test I moved the traction control butterfly right over to full shut and the engine idles nice at 850rpm, so I wonder if someone has played with the main throttle stop and opened it too much for the icv to control? Cable has slack at idle btw.
I also fitted a golf programmable wiper delay relay, that works a treat
The cam cover has been drilled on this 20xe so last week I thought as I had some oil leaking past the filler cap I would try to reduce the crankcase pressure a bit with the catch tank mod. Didnt like that as fumes from the open pipe to the tank were getting in the cabin, so I removed it before I did the above, what I did find was about 2 tablespoons of murky water (condensate) in the tank when I removed it, just goes to show what is getting recirc'ed through the engine normally. That was after around 150miles, but quite a few cold start/short runs.
I then had the task of repairing the wiring to the ignition switch where previous owners had fitted immobilisers and were too lazy to find other places to hack into the wiring. No point whatsoever in connecting immobilisers just next to the ignition switch as that the first place a twocer will look for alterations. They used scotchlocks as well!
Solder and heatshrink later, all repaired. New MI600 immobiliser fitted and wired, no I'm not saying where to