After a few minutes where I hadnt a clue what was going on as the car came to me a none runner and has a VX imobiliser plus a Toad A100 Plus and yet another "put your fob in this round socket" to enable ignition as long as its within 10 secs, plus another U shaped fob socket that I think is disabled AND a black push button on the shroud below the steering wheel!!
I couldnt get the toad to reset once I fitted the battery but eventually it all came to life once I masked down the bonnet alarm buttons and played open/shut with the drivers door.
Anyway, it burst into life and rattled like a b*tch till the oil pressure got round, I did try cranking with no plugs for a few mins first and had primed the oil filter but that wouldnt get me pressure.
You may notice an ECU laying on the screenwash bottle Not being 100% that the thing would actually work I didnt want to spend lots of time struggling to get it fitted, just to find I had a wiring fault.
It took ages idling at 850rpm to get the stat to open then an eternety to bring the fan in.
People walking buy all thought it was on fire as the oil burnt off the exhaust manifold, I think the CD silencer didnt think much of having no cat as most of its little perferations ended up in the garden the first time I gave it 4k to clear its throat.
I have to adjust the clutch some as its biting too near the floor and of course I have the ecu loom to sort, but I need to clear a path for that as the wiring grommet to the door wiring is in the way down in the inner wing and looks like I need to take th0e splash shield and wing off to get at that to replace it where its supposed to be.
So just the worn out front discs to change and the 15" fan style GSI wheels to fit with some new tyres and it should be ready for the MOT.
I will cut and shut the original CD CAT to fit the gsi system just in case the MOT guys wont accept the car as is.
Thanks guys for all the help and info along the way.