rebuilding the xe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rebuilding the xe

MIGWeb User
    cavalier gsi2000

rebuilding the xe

what are the crucial/necessary parts to buy, when rebuilding the xe?and what about the cylinder head-regarding new guides and valve seats recut and all that stuff.cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    west midlands
    twin 45'd, 6 sp astra gsi
    You DIY rebuilding the entire engine?? Just so we can give ya an idea of what bits ya might need.

Life it seems..... Is not without a sense of irony.

MIGWeb User
    Rainham, Kent, UK
    Corsa VXR
    > what are the crucial/necessary parts to buy,

Need to know what year this c20xe enigne is, ie M2.5 or M2.8 system. Becasue the cam is different depending on year. If you have M2.8 make sure you replace the plastic roller for a GF25 item, not a GF50, see guide

so you need the following

1) top engine gasket kit
    2) bottom engine gasket kit
    3) head bolts
    4) cam belt kit (belt, rollers, tensioer)
    5) water pump

It all depends what you get with head gasket kits, as after market items tend to have more in them than GM kits.

> what about the cylinder head-regarding new guides and valve seats recut

No need to do this unless there is a problem with it. Get the head checked for dimension and if its warped or not, see JohnA's site in tech section, think deck to deck hight is shown there.

also if its KS head, it would be wise to get this repaired before (if) it goes porous in the future. Think v-tunning do its the cheapest, about 150, see my guide

When doing the timing, don't rely on the bottom pully mark, it can 'slip'. Instead turn the crank until the notch on the bottom crank pulley is pointing downwards, there should be a matching notch in the oil pump housing. This is true TDC, you can't go wrong, see pic below, I've put tip-ex in the notchs so its easy to see

But the most important part in all engine rebuilds, DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST. get to know what parts you need to buy, where they go and how your going to fit them, you'll need speical tools too. I got my parts from

3) trade club discount at VX dealer via club calibra (50% off servicable parts)

+ Reply to Thread