My cam cover had lots of stripped threads and a gasket that must have been reused several times, it had also been overtightened.
I found oil stains down behind the camshaft sprockets where the gasket had let by that had run right down to the crank and below.
I also had the same on the gearbox end of the cam cover gasket again it made it look like everything in sight may have been leaking.
I considered changing all the engine seals but once I costed it @ £200+ I thought I would buy a drip tray instead
I did repair the cam cover bolt holes and fit a new gasket as well as replace the sump gasket so I guess I will see what happens now.