Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

speeding....again...

2K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  garth 
#1 · (Edited)
one day me and 3 mates went to sunny scotland...knockhill...
on the way, we went up the A68, we passed a speed camera.
so i stopped the car, and the back no' plate "fell" into the boot.

we went through more cameras at "silly speeds",got to dalkieth,
and put the plate back on, on with the journey,we got to the A720 and we were stopped by plod....
some old **** that i passed phoned them, they asked who was driving,i said we all were.....who took the plate off??
i dont know what you're on about, i said....
they took my car and left us at a service station,a while later i got a NIP letter, asking who was driving,as the car was seen going passed a camera at 98mph....
i sent it back saying all 4 of us were ,they could'nt prove it was my car without the no' plate and that i was the driver so there was no further action...i got my car back and they paid £300
impound storage charges

missed the track day at knockhill thoughlmao lmao lmao
by the way, it was 8am on an open stretch of road....

See less See more
#29 ·
garth said:
cheers evil, but its not a story...

it really happened...
sto·ry
1...n. pl. sto·ries
An account or recital of an event or a series of events, either true or fictitious, as:
An account or report regarding the facts of an event or group of events: The witness changed her story under questioning.
An anecdote: came back from the trip with some good stories.
A lie: told us a story about the dog eating the cookies.

:rolleyes:

#30 ·
stereo_rob said:
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what would have happened if you had not noticed one of the new digital jobbies being put up that catch you coming towards them. By accident. Be fooked.:p :p
TOWARDS THEM??? field day for bikers then,fast as you like,nice pic of a helmet and no number plate

#37 ·
SteveW said:
..If you say you don't know who was driving your car, the'd do the owner of the car for the offense, wouldn't they?
nope
Also, they could probably do you for not knowing who wasdriving your car too..
This they *might* try to send you to court for, but it's easily avoidable.
It might be the case that you DO know the persons who had access to the car at that day, but you need their photographic evidence to pinpoint exactly who it was at the time of the offence;)
If there is no perfect shot of the driver (without any digital enhancements) they're stuck. Sunshields, sunglasses etc don't help their good cause, either.
Now you know:beer:

#39 ·
Government cockup

Just to warm your cockles chaps!

Some smart arse reporter stitched the government up a treat recently. He suggested that all speed cameras were for was to generate cash, not to save lives.

The government minister then said "no, cameras are only put in accident blackspots".

The reporter then asked, "Out of ten, how many would you say were put there for safety?"

The minister said "9/10 are there solely for peoples safety."

The reporter then made the point. "Well, thank you minister, I think that proves my point."

The minister said "What point?"

The reporter said, "You just said 9/10 speed cameras are there for safety....... what about the other 1/10 speed cameras, money perhaps?"

Oh dear.

Still, if you want to improve your ability to get from A to B without having to jump on your GreenStuff pads every two seconds..... vote Conservative, because they will remove all Speed cameras that are not in a blackspot.

#45 · (Edited)
given the way this country is going to the rats (dogs are too good) and the relative chances of getting in trouble for the two offenses, i'm considering breaking the plates on my car in two, chucking the unwanted bits on a random bit of road somewhere and keeping just half of each on to keep myself reasonably safe from cameras.
if the filth ask anything... well, i parked my car up so that i walked right towards the door from the side officer, im not in the business of wasting my time by checking my plates are still there like they have been for the last eight years without fail. some kids must have been at them. if you're going to write me a ticket for that, then you can do me another pre-emptively for when i next have a bulb burn out and i'll mail it back to you as soon as it happens....

you must have been fair shifting and doing some dumb ass stuff for another driver to call the police on your arse unless he's a complete gutter slug who needs some salt - or is one brainwashed so badly by the Speed Kills posters (even in the light of no actual evidence provided to back them up) that he felt compelled to act.

(ps anyone wearing burberry is planning to murder you and steal your video - the next poster - its not true but it has a nice enough ring to it. people wearing burberry have been implicated in at least 3% of all double murder-video robbing cases).

I've only once called the cops on another driver...... and yes they were speeding..... difference is, this was 11.30pm after taking mates home from pub, and it was some t-nuC in a bloody QUARRY TRUCK doing about 60mph down into my town (U-turned, *carefully* ran a red and really had to give the car a lot of welly to catch up after spotting him flash past), through the centre, and out the other side, coming damn close to running at least 2 other drivers off the road in a couple very badly executed overtaking maneouvers (one on a 2-lane 1-way ring road, another on a rural 2-way NSL of similar width exiting town).

Finally made my mind up and got signal when out on the A38, finally i wasnt having to beast the old 1-litre so much as he seemed to top out in the low 70s (limiter? what limiter?).

Guess what. Pigs did nothing. F***ing hell. He was out of the range of the constabulary I got connected to (west mids, maybe 30 seconds before i crossed into north warks instead) and they couldnt transfer me or the job, plus they thought the chance of any kind of conviction was slim as i had no evidence and now he wasnt really pulling that great a pace over the NSL (they somehow forgetting the truck limit on a cabbageway being 50....).

Incidentally the guy went right past the local police station in his travels (only at about 40mph after a long incline - in a 30 though) so they could have quickly caught up to and got a statement from at least one terrorised driver - guy in a kangoo who was very nearly eating hedge, dont think he would have gone anywhere fast after that. I wouldn't have.

Couldnt even get number for north warks, and battery was damn near out, so what could i do? U-turned at the next island (only a half mile, lucky), pasted the car all the way home (taking it a little easier than the trucker on the urban streets however), dragged the BT phone book out and get right onto them... Quarry truck... these markings and this company name (like a dick i didnt take his plate)... doing about 75 north on the a38, obviously in a blinding hurry that's making him unfit to drive, or possibly he's p*ssed (stolen the truck / took it from depot without consent?) given that it is, after all, a quarter to midnight... already near ran two guys off the road, he's all set up to kill someone before the night's through.... pull him up wontcha..... .... errr.... no, actually, we wont. Ooookay. Thank you. Bye. Twunts.

And of course, my town is cool in that it has no cameras, at least not on the side he was, and any on the NSL / A38 wouldnt have got him as he didnt work up sufficient pace to set them off once on the faster roads.

Should expect it though really, after the insane length of time it took them to get a unit out to me after a drunken ch4vette set on me in tescos 24 hour garage, about 4.30am sunday morning.. like there would be much else to do at that time of morning... called the police whilst she was still around, described how i was following her from the scene.... dispatcher told me to stay with the car instead...... couldnt find my address... and then finally a unit was sent. Took ten minutes for a journey i could do in 5 at noon. No blue lights. Assailant was long freaking gone.

grr

PS if cons really do remove all cameras Except (edit: freudian slip :D) around blackspots, will they also make sure said blackspots are signed well in advance, not just with a camera sign, but with DANGER - SLOW and a brief description of the hazard, such as what we used to (or were supposed to .. at least, it's in the highway code... you know, the triangle with a "!" in) have before the emphasis shifted from warnings to punishments? Otherwise that's just as bad.

The perfectly sited speed camera, after all, should only catch a very small number of drivers, if we assume that most people (over 90%) on the roads are perfectly adept at assuming a safe speed on a good road, on a bad road when dangers are easy to spot, and on a bad road with hidden dangers when given decent advance warning?? A camera which captures every other person surely shows something wrong with the road system, than with the drivers?

A few more similar warning signs may help with accident reduction even WITHOUT cameras.... what was that recent study that showed the speed-detecting light up signs were far, far more effective than a GATSO for reducing speed AND improving road safety (not just dropping speed, but actually improving things as drivers arent threatened by them and so pay just enough attention to heed the warning, and focus back on the "dangerous" bit of road, rather than staring at the "hazard" (ie camera) and then their speedo)

PPS whats their stance on everything else? Immigration, ID cards, civil liberties, taxation, education, transport policy in general, environment, freedom of speech, renewable energy, internet censorship, health service, military etc etc etc etc..? Is there any party with better all-round morals making similar suggestions?

#47 · (Edited)
this keyboard is more than 17 years old and i have the photos to prove it - its going to keep on long after i'm dead. its an ultimate typing machine.

edit: a local road has OAP residents campaigning for it to be dropped from 40 to 30 and cameras put on because, when you cut through the excuses, their driving skills are simply too rubbish to deal with safely pulling out onto a 40mph road. this eve, however, i wish there WAS a camera down there, as i took it at 35-40 over the thin layer of almost-melted slush ...... i'd be fine, but there'd be a bully-mentality numpty in a land rover losing his license.

#48 ·
dpnova said:
that story isnt funny ur an idiot. im not saying i dont speed but if someone called the police to point you were driving like a c*** then you should have been stuck with the fines yourself. Shame really :mad:
it was'nt meant to be funny, it was meant to point out that cameras are there to make cash, not save lives.
i was'nt driving like a c**t....i wanted to be somewhere and a old to55er in a metro did'nt like being overtaken....you must be one of those people ...

i later found out he was a retired officer...and did'nt like it stuck up him....

#49 ·
"you must have been fair shifting and doing some dumb ass stuff for another driver to call the police "

it was country road with a 60 limit...i was at 60 when i came up to him, and when i had a chance to pass he would speed up ...or hang onto the back of another car...or pull to middle of the road...so when i came to a decent stretch i passed him ...and 3 other cars at the same time...

you've all had it when you go to pass a slower car and the driver sticks his foot down cos' he cant stand the idea of someone passing....even tho' theres nothing in front of him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.