Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Dealers and rights

556 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Lugy 
#1 ·
Okay, so I'm no further forward with the Discovery. I've done all the checks I can but I've had no luck. Given it came from a car dealer where do I stand about getting it sorted out and what should I do?

I need a working car, it's as simple as that. No car means no way to get to work, no work means no money and no money means no car, it's as simple as that. Yes the car might have only :rolleyes: cost £1495 but quite simply I don't have that money to waste.

#3 ·
You honestly have the worst luck ever fella ! do you not have the s class running ?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - Chances are it was sold as seen :( People expect cars to last more than 2 minutes but normally for low value sales they go out sold as seen with no warranty given or implied ! Any car under a couple of grand I've bought anyway has always been like that
'
Its luck of the draw - People seem to forget cars break down and its always someone's fault. In the same case your astra could blow up 10 minutes into the new guys ownership - Is that the dealers fault aswell ?

There is a massive difference between selling a broken car and selling a working car which then breaks down - Your judging on the basis that the dealer knew about the issues - however you seemed fairly happy it was good in the first place ?

#4 ·
Well at least I have some luck, just a shame it's all bad! (worse than you even?!)

I've mailed them to see if they are willing to help, hopefully they will! In the mean time I'll just try and find a MAF sensor, hopefully it'll help. And nope, the S class is still at the garage where it's been for the past 3 months. Something else I'm getting annoyed with. If I had the Disco working then I'd go and get it, it's not though :(lmao.

Woohoo, 10k posts, do I get a carrot now?

#8 ·
It's all down to what can reasonably be expected of it. If it's £1500 and runs relatively trouble free excluding wear and tear parts for 6 months then I'd say anything that goes wrong after that is fair game, however if you drove it off the forecourt and the engine's shagged 10 miles later I'd say the garage would have to cough up the lions share of the repair bill.

What's up with it?

#10 ·
I'm hoping it's just the MAF sensor, if it is I'll be happy and carry on my merry fuel guzzling way :D, I'd have thought it was a bit bad if I had to fork out hundreds of pounds just after driving 200 miles!

If it's not, then I don't really want to think what it is, there's not much else it can be though!

#13 ·
There's no such thing as 'sold as seen' where dealer sales are concerned so don't get fobbed off with that.
Seconded. The air con in my Mondeo didn't work when I bought it. Rang the guy and gave him a choice between getting it sorted or having the car back. :) While it was having the air con sorted, the fuel pump packed up on it, but we decided to go halves with that; he paid for the parts and I paid for the labour.

If you buy a car from a dealer or a trader, you are covered by sale of goods act.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.