Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Car Park Accident questions....

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Astra114 
#1 ·
Righty, Claire has been involved in an incident on Tescos car park, which technically isn`t true cus she hasn`t done anything aside form be in the worng place at the wrong time, but none the less, wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of waffle.

She parked forward into a space on Tescos, the woman who was sat in the car next to her jumped out and said she had just hit her car, Claire and her mother were both in the car and had no idea what she was on about, they had gone no where near her car. There is a scuff on her rear lower bumper about 2cm squared on the trailing edge of her rear arch, there is no damage or marks on cCaire`s car at all, not even a blemish in the latest coat of road dirt. From the angle and shape of the patch I`d say it`s physically impossible for Calires astra to have caused the damage.
Calire denied the incident on site but gave the woman her insurance details anyways, the woman gave us her contact detials but refused to give us her insurance details, which she as later refused to do over the phone, saying she is claiming for the loss in value of her car as well as the repair and sueing Claire for the trauma caused. :confused:
Claire also took pictures on site, which I figured was a good move, there are also no other witnesses.

Anyone had to go through this rigmaroll, some people just need to get a life it seems to me, but I guess it just a sign of the times!

See less See more
#12 ·
Insurance is still valid, whether you are on private property or not. And normal road rules apply as it's a public car park.

I think I'd have told her to do one, and if she kicked off I'd have got Tescos manager involved to see if they had any CCTV covering that area of the car park. GSMs usually have pretty good crisis-diffusion skills too. :)

Giving out my insurance details could be seen as an admission of guilt, and would be the absolute last thing I would have done.

#6 ·
Never give your insurance details to anyone unless you really have been involved in an accident, should have just driven off and let the woman persue the matter through if she has any dare to claim a false claim, she could end up in nick herself, still not too late to report this matter to police.

If you reported this incident to the police to safe guard your own interest against fraudulent claimants, so that the police can't charge you for driving off after an incident/accident. Notify your insurance company that the claimant appears to be a fraudulent, and also check with Tesco as this woman must be doing this to many other drivers, give them her reg number, on the other hand they (tesco) may simply not give a toss.

Pathetic woman!

#8 ·
This was on another forum I use, well it was similar at least, the other crazy lady's at it. It's supposedly quite common now.

What I'd recommend though is that you/she inform your insurance and explain what happened, just in case she does actually attempt to take it further.

#9 ·
she's ****ed mate, I had a **** drive across the front of my missus old corsa who then claimed I tried to race past him, the car was written off and the insurers didn't want to help us, he claimed whiplash and got a massive payout even though it was less than 5mph.

also it's an offense to not give your insurance details after an incident so the other woman is breaking the law, MAKE SURE you prompt your insurer on this (they're usually properly ****!) in reality though you're screwed as it's her word against the woman, the passenger has no say at all I'm afraid, I hope she took LOTS of pictures at the scene as that will help no end!

#24 ·
Thats not entirly true,

I was a passenger in my mates car and he got side swiped, the OP fault
I gave a statement and my evidence was going to be used in court.

the passenger has no say at all I'm afraid, I hope she took LOTS of pictures at the scene as that will help no end!

#14 ·
It is not necessary to provide your insurance details on the spot, as many of us do not even know who we are insured with, well tbh i don't rememeber who insures my cars and they are all different companies now a days as each year you hunt around for a cheaper insurance, no longer you are obliged to stick with one company and they don't seem to give you any loyalty discount so hell with that.

So as long as you exchange your name and address or telephone number and car reg details and other relavent accident/incident details, thats is all is required by law.

Yes and supermarket car parks are covered same as any public highways, try and do doughnuts in there and the police will arrive in no less than 10 minutes and do you for reckless driving!!

#16 ·
Sounds like a con-job to me - most likely to scare into paying cash to avoid an insurance job. Inform the police as it's a one for the fraud squad to be aware of, especially if they've made any hints to accepting a private cash settlement to save your insurance.

It's not just a nutcase woman, it's organised crime. You have to ask why she's sitting in a supermarket car park - the answer is probably waiting for the first unsuspecting mark to pull up.

#19 ·
Insurance informed, police informed. Will see what happens next, our insurance company have said that if she claimes they may have to send an engineer out, that might be fun Claires front bumper is full os scratches and scrapes, non of which would tally with the damage on the oother car, so we`ll see how good they are!

#22 ·
if you have given your insurance details but the other woman hasn't then she is in the wrong....who are your insurance company going to contact??? Your insurance will contact her and ask for her information, if she still with holds it then case dropped and your insurance will not pursue it and can in fact report her.

#23 ·
Insurance companies consult a common database now a days to stop fraudulent cliams being made, and can trace anyone's insurance details from there, hence if you do not have the other driver's insurance details they can find those out from the data base and if the other driver was not insured he or she will be dealt by the law for drving an uninsured car in the first place. You only need to provide your insurance company with the details of the accident and time and date and registeration number of the other vehicle envolved.

I hate scammers, no matter what their nationality/color/breed/religion or whatever, they are scums!! we need to get rid of these filthy leaches.

#26 ·
i know someone who got swiped by a 4x4 pulling out a junction on him, front end damage. 4x4 had 3 passengers all claiming the " young boy came over the hill at some speed and hit into the side of the land rover ". Absolute impossible for this to happen, but because the boy was 19, no passengers, he couldnt prove that didnt happen and had to pay out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.