Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Arnold clark POOR workmanship, problems with car after allegedly fixed at a cost!.. w

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  scooby-KILLER 
#1 ·
had put car into arnold clark to be fixed, car was allegedly fix with a whoping 2k bill,my mum was using the car as a daily driver but due to it still being far from sorted has bought another car,

i have taken the car for the time being so 1 of the problems i found is i went to top up screen was check oil etc,

was 1 bolt sitting in a pool of oil near engine mount,:mad:

on start up engine chaps for a few seconds and the idle some times jumps up and down to the point it cuts the engine out,

i would like to no your thoughts on what would cause the idling problem?, pos timing out? (seems to use a fair bit of fuel to)

i would also like to say the car has had 2 steering columns and power steering pumps fitted in aprrox the last 6 months due to it not being fitted corectly, (shock)

i have the reciepts for the work carryed out and would also like to know can i take the car back and request it be sorted correctly without cost to my self???

this is becoming a ball ache for me and i would like the car sorted so i can get shot of it before it costs me any more money,

thanks for taking time to read

See less See more
#3 ·
that would help, car in question is a fiat punto hgt abarth now i no this is a vauxhall site but i am at a standstill as what to do?? and would realy like some help weather it be advice with regards to where i stand with Arnold Clark or pos solutions to the problems previously mentioned,

thanks

#7 ·
What work was carried out? I've read that lumpy idle can be caused by timing being out (though I've never seen it myself yet!), was this something they played with? Not sure if it makes any difference but is this the 5 cylinder engine like in the Stilo? I know I'd be demanding the car was fixed the way it should have been! Saying that these are the people I bought my Corsa SRi diesel from, after a couple of weeks I managed to pick up a puncture, turned out the spare was a 4 stud! (the car was 5 stud incase you didn't know!). The salesman specifically told me all the tyres inc the spare were new or hadn't been used! They also tried to sell my mate John (coupe-bertone on here) an Astra SRi without the backbox saying he was a young lad and that he'd be changing it anyway!

Total cowboys IMO. I'd recommend they were avoided at all costs!

#9 ·
the cam belt had stripped teeth on the crank pulley, they charged for 3hrs labour to remove cylinder head (joke) replaced 2 valves not sure if it was exhaust or inlet new belt etc oil filter new steering colum and pump (twice might i add) yes it is lumpy idle and using a bit of fuel to, my guess is timing, mot'd the car not sure what else of the top of my head to be honest but i will take pictures of the reciepts as it has a brief description of work carried out etc, the bill came to £2,060 and thats with a £200 discount (i should be greatfull a), yes your rite it was some time ago but c'mon leaving bolts loose or just not even putting them back in and having to do a steering colum and pump twice wtf and have a reciept for that and its says waranty work or some thing along those lines, i mean who the f**k do they employ?? having said that a friend of mine works for arnold shark as a driver and the way he treats brand new cars customers cars even the he-man duel control cars get absolute death.

do any of you folk thing i stand a chance of having them fix the car? if it is the timing being out will this not cause further damage??

thanks for the response will post up pictures of reciepts later on today as im just in from night shift and cant be botherd

thanks all!!

#11 ·
I think it has been too long.
If it was within maybe a month, you might be ok.

All i can think of it to pay for a decent vehicle inspector to check it over, and write a report, then think about small claims/trading standards. I think if it's in a certain time frame you can take the car back. I also think you have to let them try and rectify any problems, before taking it elsewhere.

I can't think of the forums for this kind of stuff, but pepipoo, and honestjohn spring to mind, as-well-as the CAB.

#12 ·
cheers for your help chaps!, paul i do agree about the time period but my mum isnt a mechanic nor have any idea weather the car was the way it was ment to be or not, lesson learnt dodge arnold shark, i will contact them and ask as they can only say no, i will have some 1 look at it so i no for sure what is up with it?, my pennies are on the timing,

any qualified mechanics in aberdeen/fife that would have a look at it for me to confirm or advise as to what the problem is or may be would be great, dnt think i will bother with pictures of the reciepts not much point, again thanks all for your replys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.