Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

nova tyre sizes

621 views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Purs 
#1 ·
what is the max tye size able to be used on a mk2 nova? is it possible to fit 205/50/15 or will they run?

info for front and rear please thanks

#5 ·
was going to use 205's on the front as it will help with slow corner grip and am firly sure 205 would rub on the rear.

50 profile is the smallest size i can buy with the tyres am looking at

its lowerd 60mm the now.

#11 ·
205s will not fit at all ever

50 profile 195s may fit, but all novas are slightly different, rear is more likely to catch then the front.

195/45 is ideal IMO, but they have been known to catch very slightly on some rear arches.

#13 ·
Depends on so many factors tbh. Ive never had any ruubing on mine. I always use rims with the correct offset (ET49). Ive had 16"s & 15s. I'm running 195/50 at the moment because the extra money for 45s isnt worth it IMO for what is essentially a few mm difference. However as an example, my Uniroyal rainsports were much bigger than my Yoko A539. Choose the right tyre & you could gain quite a bit of clearance.

#14 ·
alot of compnies will give you a rolling circumfrance figure so you can see how much difference there is between tyre sizes
i am running 195 50 16 yoko 48r at the mo, and they are a touch too big, going for 15s for next year

#24 ·
195/50 are also better for the track
I was only disagreeing with the above!

Even in a perfect world, with ideal suspension geometry, your tyres will **** up faster witht he higher sidewall.

Id argue they may be better n a road which isnt all that smooth, but on a decent track, 45s are the only way to go IMO

#19 ·
Dan R reckoned the sidewalls had a tendency to fold up IIRC and wear the shoulders with some odd effects

#20 ·
Thats where suspension setup comes in to the equation. Its not a fault of the tyre really. I ran 45 profile tyres and wore down the side walls. If your wearing the sidewalls of the tyre you need to adjust your camber to compensate. The photographers at track days are great for this because they take piccys of your car through bends alot of the time, so you can see just how your car is sitting when under load.

I also forgot to mention that if you want to run 195/50 R15 you will need to get the rear arches either rolled or ground back. Well in general anyway. Another intresting point to take note of is the J of the wheel. It does seem to also play apart in this. I ran 7J wheels with 195 tyres and it was extreamly tight under the rear arches. However a 195 tyre with a lower J wheel gives alot more clearance.

#21 ·
camber will casue the tyre to wear at an angle, but if you take a tyre with no camber at all and put a side loading on it, the bigger the wall the more it distorts and tends to fold under, wearing away the sidewal, as opposed to just unevenly wearing the tread

#22 ·
Indeed - but not really my point. If your tyres are wearing on the sidewalls on the road then your driving like a complete idiot or your tyres are running too low a pressure.

However if the tyre is wearing on the side wall your already getting uneven tyre wear, hence why you change the camber to compensate(Assuming that they are already at the right pressure). You usually only see this type of tyre wear on track and so a camber change will have a benifical effect and your tyre will not wear uneven because most of the wear is done through the bends plus you don't do that many miles either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.