Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Swindon reverse head XE

10K views 60 replies 30 participants last post by  lee303 
#1 ·
I'm after a picture of the Swindon modified XE with the reverse cylinder head mod, as used in BTCC Cav & early Vectras please.

#14 ·
lol.

note the swindon head still has the cam belt on the drivers side, which is a necessity as theres still a flywheel and gearbox in the way at the other end! its a completely bespoke casting.

also need new cam grinds and ignition timing, as essentially, the engine is running backwards.

from what ive read they only reversed the head for better exhaust design. as you can see its a grand and shallow sweep under the cabin, no turns, whereas the standard exhaust manifold turns 180 degrees. probably worth 1-2bhp at peak revs, but thats the difference between the front row or middle of the pack

#22 ·
Thought it was to reduce heat on the intake as the air normally circulates around the engine bay to the back and heats up the intake. Where as with that set up the heat stays at the back of the bay where the exhaust manifold is and the intake stays cooler which is aided by airflow through the grill.

#23 ·
nah, 0dders is spot on, exhaust design is the key, also allowed a flat floor at the front to be achieved more easily, they reckon the 'ram' effect wouldn't do anything till 160mph+, you can still buy all the bits from swindon

#25 ·
Is it anything to do with allowing the engine to be mounted lower in the bay? I.e. not having the manifold running under the engine allows for it to be mounted 2-3 inches lower in the bay.

I'd imagine that would have some respectable handling benefits!

#27 ·
some of the super touring engine installs where just awesome, you could hardly see the engine in the primera as it was so low down and far back, and on the mondeo v6, one of the driveshafts ran through the middle of the v of the engine as it was so low in comaprison to the wheels, awesome!!!!!

#30 ·
no ram ffect until over 130 mph, turned to allow better exhaust design and reduce heating of intake charge.

from what i understand they had to change the valves sizes side to side but no need t oregrind the cams as engine still spins in the same direction

#33 ·
Reverse Head

Special coscast head, cast with bigger inlet tract, M6 studs, different chamber shape, bigger tappet bores, oil and waterways altered some re-routed increased/decreased, fitted to a flame hardened block with the corisponding oil and warerways altered, given the cost made very little difference.
A standard road car casting could not be used, asif you tried to port bore the inlets to the same size you would fall through the casting.
The reverse head castings do make very powerfull turbo engines.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.