Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Swindon reverse head XE

10K views 60 replies 30 participants last post by  lee303 
#1 ·
I'm after a picture of the Swindon modified XE with the reverse cylinder head mod, as used in BTCC Cav & early Vectras please.

#45 ·
just got back from the garage as it goes, matts breaking the gt4, brians still wleding stuff to the mantalmao they are both getting there though, you'll have to pop up one weekend mate, be good to catch up!:)

#49 ·
OK, couldn't resist calling them....

Basic engine strip down, rebuild and dyno, £2200.

They've said I wouldn't need throttle bodies at all, its a massive non needed expense for track days. They have their own specially designed camshafts fromt he Formula Vauxhall days (P10 code), a larger quiet running inlet and runner, a few strengthening bits and no reason not to see about 200bhp from this setup (using stnd inlet).

Can anyone tell me what a

Steel inner and steel outer gator is though? He was talking about this, but i got to embarrased to ask.

Also, is the standard sump on a 20XE alloy or tin?

Im going to send the guy an official email and he's going to run me up a spec, but 200bhp from the standard inlet is possible. They will supply parts to fit. He suggested if I was going to fit the parts, they would supply them, then bring the engine down and they will put it on the bench and map it for about £400-£450.

They also said that a dry sump setup is not needed, and they happily ran over 250bhp using the standard wet sump system but with a gated sump.

SO who would you trust?

Job Bloggs and the local RR and his mapper...
Swindon Racing, pay the price, but get the results from an ex BTCC tuner....

Dammit, im really getting this tuning bug back.... Anyone want to start a fund for me?

Saying that, £1k odd and 200bhp can't be bad... (Cams are £195 each).

#54 ·
Re swindon gated sump:

Last time I was at swindon i was talking to the guy about this. He showed me one. It's a brand new tin 8v type of sump that they modify to gate and baffle it. ie flapper 'valves' to ensure oil doesn't dissapear from pump pick up head etc.

Do a search on Mig as I put the details up ages ago (I think).

This sump is used alot by various people who race in series where they aren't allowed dry sump systems. Indeed (so they say) is used a lot at club rally level as it works so well.

If you guys ever get a chance you should visist and arrange a walk round at SRE. It's an amazing place and Matt, Gary and myself where very lucky and got a tour of it once. Very nice helpfull people too (or at least the ones we spoke to).

#55 ·
gated sumps are also known as trapdoor sumps.

guy croft has a site about them.....
its a cunning way to get a damn good oil supply without the uber cost of a slim jim etc.

£1K for 200bhp sounds like a good value upgrade to be fair!!! esp as it will be smootha s a nut to drive too. hmmmm wonder if they do anything with the Z22SE

#57 ·
Ahh so the gated bit was about the sump.

He's said to send him an email (Paul) so i've done that asking for a full price list on a "build it yourself".

TBH, from what he listed over the phone, the only actual engien "performance" modifications were just the cams, and enlarged throttle body, everything else was strengthening, reliability parts... But they are a "Swindon" spec camshaft, so you never know.

I'll post up the details if i get a reply.

Giles - Yeah, just looking at the site, look at the workshop and tools. It aint no Regal or Courtenay lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.