Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Bit of scapegoatism here.

636 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  18592 
#1 ·
just been reading Fridays local rag about an accident involving a 5 yr old girl.

Thought i'd post this as a bit of a heads up, probs mainly for Nova or Corsa owners. (in bold)

low down,

Bloke (34) driving along and a 5 yr old girl runs out into road and he knocks her down (she's alive, multiple fractures). He is found not at fault for the accident. He is fined £100 and £35 costs.
He claims his car is serviced every 12500miles and is looked after all the time (make not specified). The story then predominantly concentrates on a bit of rubber missing from the Brake pedal!

The last paragraph then states, 'he also pleaded guilty to a second charge of having a hydraulic oil leak and a missing anti roll bar.'

My initial thoughts are the car has been inspected with a fine tooth comb, for what i can see is a charge for a missing brake pedal rubber. which i didn't know could be an offence :confused: and thought about the bolt on pedals you can buy, then about the roll bar? Can it really be an offence if it's missing?

Anyone removed theirs? Mine didn't actually come with one, but later models did, and i know some people have taken theirs off.

See less See more
#5 ·
I've never really seen the point of silly bolt-on pedals, for anybody other than proper heel-and-toeing motorsport drivers etc (with soft driving shoes on).

I have some daft Sparco ones on the Astra from the last chappy, and with wet weather their chuffin lethal!!! Must take them off...............

#7 ·
How would an anti roll bar of prevented him from hitting the kid?

And what about if it had been the otherway round, the owner put an anti roll bar on that technically shouldn't of bin htere because it wasnt fitted as standard?

no comment on the brake pedal tho ,....

#8 ·
doge5644 said:
How would an anti roll bar of prevented him from hitting the kid?
Precisely, thats why i think he's been made a bit of a 'we need to blame someone' example.
There's a lot of what ifs with this kind of story and you never get all the details in a paper anyway. Just thought it would be interesting to see what other people thought.
Reads like his car has been thouroughly inspected for any kind of defect to apportion blame to me.

#11 ·
Rubber pedal grip is definately an MOT issue Ive heard of before, hence bolt on pedal covers are illegal- Technically.

The ARB saga is the typical insurance industry cop out though & he'd probably be negligable if he'd been wearing sunglasses too. Its not right but it could have been way worse than £135 IMO.

#13 ·
I laugh in the face of rubbery pedals! lmao

Didn't know that was an MOT failure :confused:

On the subject of pedals, anyone know why it's illegal to drive without shoes on? Got stopped a few months back, I'd been driving with no shoes on because they were too big and clunky - Policeman noticed and said it was 'a naughty thing to do' and told me to put them back on when I left :confused:

#16 ·
Dan¹ said:
On the subject of pedals, anyone know why it's illegal to drive without shoes on? Got stopped a few months back, I'd been driving with no shoes on because they were too big and clunky - Policeman noticed and said it was 'a naughty thing to do' and told me to put them back on when I left :confused:

Its right like. There cant be many people who can honestly say their driving isnt affected AT ALL when they take their shoes off. But on the same note i cant understand how people get away with wearing high-heals, big rigger boots or flip flops.

I always wear shoes i am totally comfortable with, even if it means taking a spare pair of shoes with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.