Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

FWD and 1/4 mile doesn't mix??? Like feck..

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  David Dixon 
#1 ·
See less See more
#9 ·
artfulmatt........ over here (neither on the states) is not streetlegal to use some 26x8 or bigger slicks on the streets hehehe. its just an option to improve the traction and make the category even more competitive.

the point is to go faster, or im wrong?

David(NOVA) be sure to get that recored mate! :D

im now getting all my XE stuff into a lemans (astra mk2 GTE), im getting a new intake manifold made and a 64mm throttle body will be used. already a new mapping session is on hold for it.... after its ready im gonna try some NOS with some slicks.

#10 ·
maniac8v said:
artfulmatt........ over here (neither on the states) is not streetlegal to use some 26x8 or bigger slicks on the streets hehehe. its just an option to improve the traction and make the category even more competitive.
True - but them cars u see aren't really "street cars" anyway lmao not that often u see a car braking and ejecting a parachute out the back lmao

IMO - RWYB etc... (well mostly) is aimed at anyone with a street car - no matter what spec engine/fuel/N20//turbos anything is fine - so long as it's on road tyres and has an MOT :nod:

I think that makes it more competitive because your needing to use better suspension setups and different road legal tyres to get the most from the car, plus being able to put the power down differently dependant on car :nod:

Slicks is a no brainer really - foot to floor and drop clutch, little spin then massive grip and off you go - takes no skill really (well in a road car) - probably why it suits the yanks well I guess lmao

#11 ·
im not a yank... butreally? not a brainer? thank you, tell that to the 4 second funny cars

the parachute is for safety standards. i know people that have almost got killed/burned in drag car accidents because of a parachuete not openning. you need something appart of some silly brakes to stop u when u make a 9 second run.

with our 466 WHP (at 24psi :D) CRX turbo we're struggling to get a correct suspension setup to get near a 1.6 60ft. BTW were using HKS fullcoilvers. :)

currently doing 1.8/1.9, and doing 11.56...

just put the radials back in, the slicks on the boot. set it on low boost and off to the streets we go :)

#13 ·
Im asking about it on the website, i'll post any info i find...

I don't think its about street legal cars, fact is, drag racing is massive in america, and its not at all over here. Simple as that.

People won't put loads of money into something that isn't big here, and won't give back the money they will put into it. In the USA, its a big competition.

#14 ·
Cupatea said:
Im asking about it on the website, i'll post any info i find...

I don't think its about street legal cars, fact is, drag racing is massive in america, and its not at all over here. Simple as that.

People won't put loads of money into something that isn't big here, and won't give back the money they will put into it. In the USA, its a big competition.
:beer: good point ;)

#16 ·
maniac8v said:
im not a yank... butreally? not a brainer? thank you, tell that to the 4 second funny cars

the parachute is for safety standards. i know people that have almost got killed/burned in drag car accidents because of a parachuete not openning. you need something appart of some silly brakes to stop u when u make a 9 second run.

with our 466 WHP (at 24psi :D) CRX turbo we're struggling to get a correct suspension setup to get near a 1.6 60ft. BTW were using HKS fullcoilvers. :)

currently doing 1.8/1.9, and doing 11.56...

just put the radials back in, the slicks on the boot. set it on low boost and off to the streets we go :)
I did say to a point - running slicks on a 500bhp car don't take a lot of skill to control......Doing the same on a drag car is a totally different story and I completely understand that ;) - also the fact they need parachutes lmao :rolleyes:

My point which u kinda missed is that the yanks cars are basically drag cars :nod: - over here for the moment you won't find anyone willing to build such a car, purely because like cupatea has said it's not that competitive (yet)

I personally think the UK car scene is gonna always be more aimed at the track rather than the strip - probably why D1 seems popular with the young peeps ;)

#18 ·
I agree, road cars should be just that, the only reason you go to the pod is to get an indication as to how your car shapes up against other similar cars, its only a laugh really, might fit some slicks for a laugh and see what times are possible, but then no doubt the clutch or box wont like the grip lmao

#19 ·
i think you're missing my point, but im getting yours too,

speaking for my car (mk2), wich is still a toy compared to those cars, i wont try some slicks on less i see the best time out of it on road tyres. then i will try some slicks just for the fun.

the slicks is just an option on the category, because is not worth to have over 450+whp on some road tyres on a FWD.

#20 ·
i dont think it matters if its a road car or not its up to the person that own that car in my opinion, i'm going to use slicks cos i built my car to go fast and i want to see what its capable of and if it means using slicks so be it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.