Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Chavs Cally T v Pulsar GTI-R

9K views 274 replies 52 participants last post by  GeorgeGt 
#1 ·
right then all. Im after an unbiased opinion on the matter of whether chavs cally t will be quickier than my mates pulsar gti-r over a quater mile. Im sure your all aware of chavs spec so no need for me to harp on about that. The pulsar however is standard except a filter and cat-back system so should be putting out in the region of 230bhp give or take a bhp or 2. I have asked on the gtiroc forum and they all conceive that pulsar will be quickier as it stands now. He is however fitting a HKS EVC gen 5 Boost controller and hybrid front mount this week so with boost at around 1 bar, should be at the 290-300bhp mark.

Now given, in standard spec (the pulsar) im not sure which will be quickier, but when the pulsaris running near 300bhp, i think there is no contest!!:cool:

cheers for your opinions

#102 ·
Well I have had two Calibras, 8v and V6 and I can say there not very chuckable round tight corners but they excel at high speed corners despite feeling a bit loose and light on the steering. My mates Astra coupe cains it through the corners.

I drove an FTO and that was an amazing car in the cornering department!

#103 ·
MSG said:
Without a Calibra Engines in your Astras,Corsas, & strangely Minis, none of you could open your mouths wide enough, so basically Calibra engines have given you the oomph factor.
you really should think before posting where was the very first 20xe placed ???????

and where was the first c20let placed ???????

can you mechanicaly think of anything that the calibra came with that the cav turbo did not ??? i dont mean all the drag stuff they put on it i mean suspension(which actualy came from a mk2 astra ) engine etc etc :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

#105 ·
Funny that the very person who started this thread was sat in my car the time I caned an S2000 round the twisties, and was also there when I went round the outside of a WRX on a roundabout (WRX was oversteering, I was just gripping)

YES Calibra's do handle shockingly bad as standard, I'll be the first to admit... but the 4x4 ones when lowered are rather good :) It's nice to be able to lift off mid corner and not go into the armco eh Chip? ;)

#106 ·
Chavtastic said:
Funny that the very person who started this thread was sat in my car the time I caned an S2000 round the twisties, and was also there when I went round the outside of a WRX on a roundabout (WRX was oversteering, I was just gripping)

YES Calibra's do handle shockingly bad as standard, I'll be the first to admit... but the 4x4 ones when lowered are rather good :) It's nice to be able to lift off mid corner and not go into the armco eh Chip? ;)
Anything that keeps you out of the armco is good, although if you think thats what happened in the bmw you are a long way from the truth, it actually understeered, a calibra would have done the same thing only more so!

If by bringing it up its supposed to shame my driving or the car or something just bear in mind that on racetracks the following types of car get crashed:
formula 1 cars
touring cars

by "terrible" drivers such as:
micheal shumacher
damon hill
ayrton senna

IF you push it very hard on track, at some point you will crash, simple as that, makes no difference how good the car is, if you are driving it right on the limit and then you hit something slippery mid bend, you will be off, if you think that a calibra has some sort of mystical magical powers that would make it behave differently then you are even more dillusional about them then i first thought!

#107 ·
Chip, without wanting to go off topic all I will say is I doubt MIG heard the full truth about what happened at the ring... not that I particularly care anyway. It just seems strange how other people who were there said one thing happened, then when you got back a few emails were sent and they changed their minds. You would have been fine in a Calibra, and you would have looked a lot cooler too.

All you need to become the MIG god you want to be, is a Calibra! Then I will call you Dad!

#108 ·
Chavtastic said:
Chip, without wanting to go off topic all I will say is I doubt MIG heard the full truth about what happened at the ring... not that I particularly care anyway. It just seems strange how other people who were there said one thing happened, then when you got back a few emails were sent and they changed their minds. You would have been fine in a Calibra, and you would have looked a lot cooler too.

All you need to become the MIG god you want to be, is a Calibra! Then I will call you Dad!

"The full truth about what happened at the ring" WTF?

You mean that you believed the stories that i was responsible for the death of a biker who was on that bend 4 years before my accident, cause thats the stories that got corrected when people who were there got back and ended all the silly speculation and rumours.

My accident couldnt have been much less eventful, i washed out midbend due to a lack of grip, the marshalls inform me that there may have been some oil there.
That got twisted into someone saying i had dropped oil (car never lost a drop, the sump is still in tact to this day), that then got twisted into that the oil which i had (not) dropped could cause a biker to come off, which someone then turned into it had caused a bike to come off, then that the biker had died, and then pictures of some biker who died 4 years ago.
If you prefer the "news of the world" version of events thats up to you mate, but im afraid the truth was very dull indeed.

BTW I reguarly own calibras, ive broken several now, next time ive got one i will let you know so you can address me accordingly.

#110 ·
Chavtastic said:
I didn't mean the death of the bikers bit... that was stupid. I meant the bit about you running away, arms flapping in the air and jumping over the armco to hide in a bush. THAT bit wasn't mentioned in your version of events.
I drove straight back to the ring car park and spoke to the ring officials, if i ran off how do you think my car got back? bmw's are obviously far better cars than calibras but if you think that they all come equipped like Kit out of night rider than you are suffering from an even worse inferiority complex than we first suspected.

#111 ·
PS

The lad who crashed "japs eye" did exactly what you said, well other than the flapping arms bit, maybe you heard about that and got confused?
Or are you just blatantly talking rubbish knowingly?

#112 ·
sbd16vastra said:
you really should think before posting where was the very first 20xe placed ???????

and where was the first c20let placed ???????

can you mechanicaly think of anything that the calibra came with that the cav turbo did not ??? i dont mean all the drag stuff they put on it i mean suspension(which actualy came from a mk2 astra ) engine etc etc :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Oh so I was right! they took Cav cahssis, lowered the suspension and made it into a Calibra and gave it aerodynamics and low roof line to make Cav go even better, indeed. ironically it even beat the Astra and the Beemers. It was a brilliant piece of engineering conversion. lmao

#113 ·
MSG

Yes in terms of aerodynamics, the calibra is indeed a good alternative to the cavalier, i dont think anyone would dispute that.

Trouble is, the fact they started with such a **** platform, if mistibushi did the same thing with the evo, it would be worth having. The basic concept of the calibra isnt a bad one, its just based on the wrong car.

#115 ·
Chavtastic said:
Agreed. The Calibra should have been based around a transversely mounted engine, with a proper 4x4 or even RWD option. But that would have meant a £35k price tag, and nobody wanted a Vauxhall for that price.
Indeed, where as instead they now have a 1000 pound price tag and people STILL dont want them so they end up in bits.

Such a good idea, so badly implemented :(

#117 ·
Chav you love Callys too much mate, I bet you still think you'll take a GT4!!!

Give it up its getting boring mate. Every thread about you car ends up with you dissing every other car out there! Face it your car is nice and fast but is NOT the best thing out there by any means!

#119 ·
I have a funny feeling that your idea of a "big bhp cossie" is VERY different to the average cossie owners opinion of a "big bhp cossie" ;)

Still, whatever makes you happy, believe what you want to, but DONT expect anyone to take all that rubbish seriously, if you really think anyone on here believes a word of all that rubbish you are greatly mistaken.

If your car is so quick, put it on a track ;)

"Kill" stories from the road invariably dont prove anything other than who is prepared to be more of a dick on the public highway with less regard for wether or not innocent people get hurt cause they arent mature enough to understand the consequences.

#121 ·
Chip my car won't be quick on a track. It's not a track car. You've got more chance of putting a decent lap time in using a pair of roller blades covered in treacle. The cossie was a 320bhp RWD Saff... perhaps not big BHP by cossie standards, but definitely big BHP compared to the normal cars you would find in a city centre.

#122 ·
Chavtastic said:
Chip my car won't be quick on a track.
Indeed your car wouldnt be quick on a track, and yet you still think:
its fast
it handles well

So if you think that its fast and it handles well, why do you manage to understand it wouldnt be quick on a track?

And 320bhp from a cossie is VERY mild tuning indeed, so you might want to change that "big bhp" reference if you want even a hint of reality in your fairytales.

#123 ·
You are racing in a City Centre well that goes to show fook all! Other than what a **** you are on the roads! You have no idea mate and from what you have said that only proves it! I have never met someone so biased! I could beat a Ferrari on the street as long as the owner lost his balls first, and even then its not a measure of driving skills or the cars capability! GET IT! The only thing you have 'owned' recently is Dom' by the sounds of it!!

#124 ·
H751ADM - Please don't jump to conclusions. The section of road used for racing has no pavements, therefore no pedestrians. It is one way also, and three to five lanes wide. Therefore it can't be deemed as risky as you would have thought.

Chip - Yes it handles well and is fast, and is on par with most cars people find fast on the roads. However, against the sort of cars I'd find on the track it wouldn't be competitive as they are on a whole different level. I don't want it for a track car, I want a fast, comfortable road car which is what I have. I've been there done that, trackdays aren't my thing anymore.

#125 ·
Chip.. All cars have good points and bad, a Calibra is an all rounder, a 5 seater, hatchback, able to carry a lot of stuff if you run your own business, I bought it purely for its shape and the unrestricted space it provides like a small van, so may be why its called a barge not beacuse its any slower, it is indeed a very fast car, its raod holding may not be in par with some high performance cars such as BMWs Astra, Corsas but one does feel confortable driving it and confidence when going around bends, not saying that it has mystical magical road grip but certainly better than any cars I have driven which mainly includes Manta, Hillmans, Cavalier 1.6, Carlton, Nissan Sunny, Micra, ect. I drove a hired Astra 1.6 back in 1989 and I was impressed with its agility, being a small light weight car it flew, no doubt it set an imopression, but that Astra isn't very practical for me in other respects like carrying heavy goods in large boxes, saves me buying a small van. I have never had a chance to drive a beemer although I have sat in many, A Beemer costs a lot more than a Cally so there can be no comparrison.

#126 ·
I forgot that racing on a quiet public road was safe, and that you only ever find pedestrians on Pavements!!

Your car is nice and comfy but is NOT a road going Rally car, like a pulsar! Thats what this thread is about whats better and so far you and you 'owned' pal Dom are a very small minority!

I would not be proud of its pathetic second hand value, but admit its alot of car for the money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.