Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

753BHP Mk4 Astra 'XE'

6K views 78 replies 37 participants last post by  Haynzee 
#1 ·
#52 ·
chip said:
I spent 500 quid on a secondhand P8 Pro and will probably map it myself, so i many not be a good example for you to use to prove how expensive it is lmao
Chip is the sort of person that is likely to get the power he wants because he can do the majority of the work himself. Whereas the majority of us dont know how to do it and cant afford the £1000s that UK tuners ask to do the job.

#54 ·
DeXx250 said:
Chip is the sort of person that is likely to get the power he wants because he can do the majority of the work himself. Whereas the majority of us dont know how to do it and cant afford the £1000s that UK tuners ask to do the job.

Not always the case, for example i built my engine myself and yet spent more on labour than if i got Adrian to build it for me, as i spent about 40 evenigns at his place building it, and each time i went i spent:
Petrol: 15 quid
Takeout for us + his mrs : 18 quid
Wear and tear on car: 10 qud?

So probably 43 quid * 40 = 1700 quid

Then 500 quid or so for machining, so thats over 2 grand in labour to build my engine!

Most parts ive paid more or less retail on too, i just got lucky with the ECU

Its going to be WELL over 10 grand for it finished!

Wait till you see the inlet though, its V sexy and will owe me less than 400 all in :beer:

Thing is though, to me the cost doesnt matter, as building the engine for example is my night out every wednesday, instead of spending that 43 quid down the pub, so it depends if you add it up as a hobby or a labour charge.
Also im spending this money over a very long period dont forget, ive been building this engine for about 2 years now lmao

#55 ·
chip said:
Not always the case, for example i built my engine myself and yet spent more on labour than if i got Adrian to build it for me, as i spent about 40 evenigns at his place building it, and each time i went i spent:
Petrol: 15 quid
Takeout for us + his mrs : 18 quid
Wear and tear on car: 10 qud?

So probably 43 quid * 40 = 1700 quid

Then 500 quid or so for machining, so thats over 2 grand in labour to build my engine!

Most parts ive paid more or less retail on too, i just got lucky with the ECU

Its going to be WELL over 10 grand for it finished!

Wait till you see the inlet though, its V sexy and will owe me less than 400 all in :beer:

Thing is though, to me the cost doesnt matter, as building the engine for example is my night out every wednesday, instead of spending that 43 quid down the pub, so it depends if you add it up as a hobby or a labour charge.
Also im spending this money over a very long period dont forget, ive been building this engine for about 2 years now lmao
Your like me in some ways, sooner have something to show for my money instead of a piss stain on a wall :). Beer is nice now and then tho :beer: :D .

#56 ·
Ive been lucky recently in that ive been able to afford a good social life and also to do stuff on my cars, i like to keep things well rounded at least a little bit.

Couldnt do with spending so much on my car that i cant afford a weekend away getting a few beers in with the passionford lot etc.

But i do spend a total of about 12 quid a year on clothes, so i guess thats a sacrifice most people wouldnt want to make, but ive just never been into all that sort of stuff.

#57 ·
DeXx250 said:
I'm lucky in that I have dave walker (emerald) down the road from me. His ecu new is only £550+vat and loom is something I could work on myself.

Mapping would be £200+vat

Travelling costs would be feck all and I can leave the car with him.

Think I'd be stupid really not to do this - It's either that or a 'live map' of the motronic which with travelling costs and mapping it's gonna be near to the same price as the standalone. :eek:

#59 ·
chip said:
Ive been lucky recently in that ive been able to afford a good social life and also to do stuff on my cars, i like to keep things well rounded at least a little bit.

Couldnt do with spending so much on my car that i cant afford a weekend away getting a few beers in with the passionford lot etc.

But i do spend a total of about 12 quid a year on clothes, so i guess thats a sacrifice most people wouldnt want to make, but ive just never been into all that sort of stuff.
lmoa - recently I've stopped spending on the car and just gone out and bought a new wardrobe of clothes, along with being in a bar/club most weekends. Gone back to the car now though :rolleyes: Just spent £350 on ur mates head :beer: lmao

#67 ·
Yep the exhaust gas goes in series through the small turbo (and presumabley also the external gate or it would be a terrible idea!) into the big turbo, so they are effectively in series.

The output side though is most definately in parellel

Looks like a nery nice solution TBH, would quite fancy having a go at that at some point myself to see how well it works.

#68 ·
know what you mean, going away from chips can get expensive! luckily i got my sm2 second hand for £1500 but then by the time you add a manifold and turbo to make it worth while, injectors, plus i paid to get my loom made so all in around 2k plus! and it still needs mapping etc so thats more on top!
ah well its all fun! better than spending it on drugs lmao

#70 ·
Having thought some more about that twin turbo, and discussed it with the lads on passionford, it absolutely will not work, and that car is blatantly never going to be fast, just a "trailer queen" which explains why it looks like its never ran!

#71 ·
chip said:
Having thought some more about that twin turbo, and discussed it with the lads on passionford, it absolutely will not work, and that car is blatantly never going to be fast, just a "trailer queen" which explains why it looks like its never ran!
The bonnet wont shut with those boost pipes where they are for a start on the Fiat.

#72 ·
chip said:
Why ? thought it was supposed to be 753bhp ?
Thought people said how huge the turbo was and how it should make silly power figures .
Any more info on this car since then ...........

#73 ·
Because, you old thread bumping without reading them, i was talking about the fiat that this thread was discussing on page 2 but the pictures have since gone cause its so old.

If you are going to bump old threads and reply at the end at least actually bother to read the bit in the middle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.